Getting system that has been drained and sitting back.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Luckyredarlo

Oct 16, 2023
Central Maine
recently we bought a house that has a wood boiler with a pressurized tank in the basement (1000 gal I believe). It has all been drained and probably a year ago and wasn’t used for 6 years prior to that. What would I need to do to get it up and running again?

Fill with water and pressure test is what i would do.
I would secure the pressure relief either by removing or plugging off,then let the system sit for a bit with pressure.
What pressure?When i built my system i tested every thing to 80 PSI when it was filled with water.Filling with water is important as water does not compress, so any failure will be just a mild leak or a big leak if something lets go. With just air if something lets go there will be a big explosion as the air pressure gets released violently.
At the time i built it the fellow that was supplying me with everything told me to test to 80 PSI.
Once it passes a pressure test then you should be good to make sure all pumps and related electrics are good,then fire it up with small loads till you are up to temp.
Take some pictures and add the make of the boiler for more detailed info on your system.
Good Luck

I would secure the pressure relief either by removing or plugging off,then let the system sit for a bit with pressure.
What pressure?When i built my system i tested every thing to 80 PSI when it was filled with water.Filling with water is important as water does not compress, so any failure will be just a mild leak or a big leak if something lets go. With just air if something lets go there will be a big explosion as the air pressure gets released violently.
At the time i built it the fellow that was supplying me with everything told me to test to 80 PSI.
Once it passes a pressure test then you should be good to make sure all pumps and related electrics are good,then fire it up with small loads till you are up to temp.
Take some pictures and add the make of the boiler for more detailed info on your system.
Good Luck
Good Luck
It is a Tempest Dumont basically a Jetstream if you are familiar with those. I will upload pictures of it and the tank tonight. Thanks

Reactions: MikeK
When i built my system i tested every thing to 80 PSI
I wouldn't go that high unless I knew the tank was rated for it...could ruin a tank that was perfectly fine previously, not to mention other damage.

Reactions: sloeffle
Reactions: hobbyheater
FWIW, the biggest problem with that design was the storage tanks. They were expensive when new and many installers went cheap on storage tanks. Many leaked and rusted out and the owners stopped using them. Definitely spend the time to confirm that the storage tank(s) are not leaking before spending a lot of time.

FWIW, the biggest problem with that design was the storage tanks. They were expensive when new and many installers went cheap on storage tanks. Many leaked and rusted out and the owners stopped using them. Definitely spend the time to confirm that the storage tank(s) are not leaking before spending a lot of time
The tank is huge, about the size of a commercial propane tank. It’s definitely thick so I don’t think it would be rusted out. Lots of surface rust I’m sure. There’s a pressure and temp gauge on the top of the tank and 2 expansion tanks each 3x the size of a regular expansion tank. So I assumed it’s pressured. Maybe not…I will upload pics tomorrow.

If it's got expansion tanks, its a pressurized system.

My guess is this is 40 year old boiler system. The prior owner did not do anyone favors by draining it unless they purged it with nitrogen and kept it sealed as steel rusts more when exposed to oxygen.

As another poster noted, pressure test the system with water, not air.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
I wouldn't go that high unless I knew the tank was rated for it...could ruin a tank that was perfectly fine previously, not to mention other damage.
My tanks were reused propane tanks...
My guy told me when i asked about the 80 PSI...
He said God hates wimps,if everything can take 80 PSI then you will never have to worry about a leak from pressure.
I had cast iron rads that i had found in a pile with willows growing through them,probably been there for over 40 years,they all got tested to 80 PSI as well.That was after i cleaned the inside with an acid solution.I did end up with one that didn't pass the test,better in my shop than in my house once they were installed.
There was a guy with a jetstream in this town,he was using storage with it.Way before the outdoor water heaters made by Central Boiler ever became popular here.

My tanks were reused propane tanks...
My guy told me when i asked about the 80 PSI...
He said God hates wimps,if everything can take 80 PSI then you will never have to worry about a leak from pressure.
I had cast iron rads that i had found in a pile with willows growing through them,probably been there for over 40 years,they all got tested to 80 PSI as well.That was after i cleaned the inside with an acid solution.I did end up with one that didn't pass the test,better in my shop than in my house once they were installed.
There was a guy with a jetstream in this town,he was using storage with it.Way before the outdoor water heaters made by Central Boiler ever became popular here.
Do you think I’ll have to clean mine out at all? Or is surface rust in water not an issue? I read up on the jet streams professor hill from umaine designed them. They sound very efficient.

Fill the system and drain it once that should be plenty.
My system is 1000 imperial gallon storage tank made from a old boiler it had about 2 inches of scale on the bottom and has run 40+years with no problem to the boiler or circulators !

Reactions: Luckyredarlo
boiler and expansion tanks are about 5 feet higher than the tank which is in the basement.

IMG_1802.jpeg IMG_1801.jpeg IMG_1805.jpeg IMG_1804.jpeg IMG_1803.jpeg

I'd say there's a reason that they disconnected the boiler. IMHO I wouldn't put a 41 year old disconnected boiler back in service, but that's just me. My life isn't worth trying to save a few dollar on heating costs.

Last edited:
The insulation looks bad but the plumbing was done right by the looks of it.
Looks like a repurposed propane tank for storage .

I'd say there's a reason that they disconnected the boiler. IMHO I wouldn't put a 41 year old disconnected boiler back in service, but that's just me. My life isn't worth trying to save a few dollar on heating costs.
Yeah they did it because the the guy is 98 years old now. Moved out a year ago to a retirement home so they winterized the home. I noticed today the boiler has 25psi. Tank is obviously 0psi……maybe the boiler was treated and isolated?

why would your life be on the line? The boiler is only running 30psi it’s not a steam boiler. Maybe my basement would be on the line but I don’t think your life will be in danger…

The insulation looks bad but the plumbing was done right by the looks of it.
Looks like a repurposed propane tank for storage .
Is it worth getting going on should I just burn oil all winter? It’s an old house 1850 1950 addition 3600Sqf little insulation if any. We are not living in it yet but I’m there every day working on it. Also drive for UPS and this house is on my route so I stop there on my break as well daily.

why would your life be on the line? The boiler is only running 30psi it’s not a steam boiler. Maybe my basement would be on the line but I don’t think your life will be in danger…
I was going to write a response explaining to you how fire can burn your house down and how bad 180 degree hot water can severely scald you. Or how you could be poisoning yourself or your family with the galvanized flue piping. Obviously you’ve taken that all into consideration as part of trying to resurrect a 41 year old boiler.

Good luck with your project !

Last edited:
They really were not steam boilers just pressurized hot water boilers usually with 15 PSI safeties. Unlike a boiler there is no drum, just a big coil of tubing.

I wouldn't worry about the flu pipe if it had some thing to off gas it's done.
I have the same flue pipes, was told to use them for code.