Getting the wood out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
I cut and split with an axe only. Haul the wood out of the bush with a atv and small trailer. For those that process similar....how do you get the split wood out to your trail/trailer? Do you throw it several times till it reaches? Pick up each split and carry to the pile/trailer? I'm wondering what people feel is the most efficient way? Id love to drop all trees right at the trail, but often there 50-75' away, and more handling is required?

If possible I will roll it down hill. If I can't do that and they are small pieces I throw them several times till they reach. If they are large I pick them up 1 at a time and carry them and if they are to large to pick up I split them (1/2 or 1/4s) in the woods and carry them a piece at a time. Seems like quite a process when you write it out.

I would use a chain to drag logs, or partial logs, with the quad out to the truck, then buck, split and load.
But wait a minute; Are you saying you don't use a saw? You buck logs to stove length with an axe? If so, you must be about half my age. ;lol
I hope that's Pine.. :oops:

Id get that atv in there if at all possible unless its government land or sumthin and access by trail is only allowed. Is snow on the ground? Kudos to you for cutting with a axe.....man of men.

Hahahaahah. No Superman here. I should have wrote.... I cut and buck with my saw , then split with my axe.....there is snow on the ground, sometimes enough to stop from getting the bike in close on my own land. There also is way to many saplings to get in tight to the dropped tree with the bike and trailer. I've been cleaning out the Ash trees, so when being specific as far as tree choice, they are not always in the easiest haul out scenario. While working at some wood this past weekend I was pondering this question....maybe I will try a toboggan next week? It just seemed like the largest part of the work and the split wood still wasn't out the bush. I couldn't decide if the multiple toss technique was more efficient than bending down grabbing a armful and walking to the pile for retrieval another day.

There also is way to many saplings to get in tight to the dropped tree with the bike and trailer.
If you can't get your "bike" in there, then snip the saplings and blaze a trail. If your trailer is wider than 3-4ft then make one up quick to at least get in there with. It doesn't need to be fancy. A couple hours, hack something together, drag the stuff out.

Attachments

• 0907191340~2.jpg
    0907191340~2.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Reactions: Tar12
My preference is drag the tree out near the road then buck and split. I picked up a gas powered capstan winch last year to drag the logs out of the woods but a couple of snatch blocks and an ATV would also work although you may have less pulling power.I have not bought a skidder cone yet but expect I will pick one up this year as when working solo with a capstan winch there is lot of potential for the end of the tree to get stuck.

If I do buck and split them in place I normally just throw the splits to one location and then move to that location and repeat until I am at the road. I have a sloped lot so I try to cut up hill from the truck.

Get yourself a jet sled.

Attachments

• 2DF3DA44-5203-4654-9F9F-8998921ABB38.png
    2DF3DA44-5203-4654-9F9F-8998921ABB38.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 109
Cut, split then pull the splits to your quad with the jet sled. Throwing firewood does not sound appealing to me.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Cut, split then pull the splits to your quad with the jet sled. Throwing firewood does not sound appealing to me.
I got one of those. Think its supposed to be for ice fishing. works good for wood!

If possible, I would recommend dropping the tree, cutting it into lengths you can drag with whatever power equipment you have, drag the logs to your trailer, buck, split, and load. I am fortunate enough that the old Farmer who owns the fields with a wood lot across the road from me allows me to cut whatever I want. I'm able to use the tractor and FEL to drag trees out into an open field where I buck, split, and load into the trailer.

If you can't get your machine back into the bush, I'd either blaze a trail or pick up some extra long nylon tow straps. You'd be surprised how cheap you can actually get them. I've taken to using them as they're lightweight and easy to maneuver in the thick stuff.