Getting used to the Neo 2.5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spirithelper

Mar 10, 2022
Benzonia, MI
Last night was my first fire in the new insert and I am really impressed. I was used to loading up the old Yukon Husky with 4-6 big pieces for the night. This unit doesn't hold half of that, yet was still blowing warm air this morning. Couple of questions though for those of you who have had this style of burner.

First about the afterburn, I think it's called, at top of stove. Is this something we should always see when it's burning correctly?

Second thing, moisture content of wood. I'm told below 20% is recommended, but half that is preferred. My Ash is good, measured after splitting it is 8-12%. But there is less ash than red oak. The oak is 10-12 on outside, but around 18-20% in middle after splitting. It seems to be burning good and I'm using smaller, arm diameter size pieces to stay on the dryer side. I've found nothing 22% yet, a few close to 21%, and most are 19. I am literally checking each piece right now. Do any of you think I should be concerned about borderline moisture?
Thanks,
Randy

You need to burn what you have. Make sure to put up enough for next winter, and hopefully the 1 after that.

Reactions: Spirithelper
You should be fine, you can trying mixing some of the boarder line pieces with the really dry stuff.

Also I wouldn’t try to start a fire with the boarder line pieces, make sure you have a hot firebox when loading them.

Finally don’t smolder it really low with the wetter wood.

You should be fine, you can trying mixing some of the boarder line pieces with the really dry stuff.

Also I wouldn’t try to start a fire with the boarder line pieces, make sure you have a hot firebox when loading them.

Finally don’t smolder it really low with the wetter wood.
Sounds good. I kind of been doing all the above, and not shutting the air down too low. Thanks.

Secondary combustion occurring at the top of the firebox will only last an hour or two while the wood is outgassing strongly. After that, the light show tames down.

Secondary combustion occurring at the top of the firebox will only last an hour or two while the wood is outgassing strongly. After that, the light show tames down.
That is very helpful to know. Thank you. Not much in the manual about it. Light show is a good name for it. It's pretty cool when it's flaming on from the top.

The quicker you can turn the air down, for a lazier flame, the better it will get.