Gift Idea - Rutland Stove Thermometer - Great $10.00 Product

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterlander

Dec 5, 2005
Mid-Michigan
I bought one of those magnetic Rutland Stove Thermometers for my Lopi Revere insert at Home Depot a couple weeks back. I stick it on the side of my stove that is out of view. This is a great little tool to help me understand what is going on in there at a glance. It's a great stocking stuffer you can buy for yourself.

Have you been to the Sand Hill website? They have something for everyone there. They even have code books for Elk! (no I have no affiliation, relative or other relation to this site).
http://www.sandhillwholesale.com/index.asp

Will these sorts of thermometers work well with flush inserts? I just finished reading "The Woodburner's Companion: Practical Ways Of Heating With Wood" and it sounds like a thermometer is pretty much mandatory if you're concerned about having an efficient fire while minimizing smoke and creosote, but I'm not sure where to place it on a flush insert.

BeGreen: Thanks for the link! Great stuff for anyone of us maul-heads!

ERParker: The one I bought is bright red, about 2.5" x 3", so it would stick out like a sore thumb on your insert. There's a few on this link that might look a little better on your flush insert: http://www.northlineexpress.com/rsearch_thermometers.asp

Likewise, thanks for more thermometers Hinterlander. You are so right about the newer units being gaudy. We have a 20yr old+ Sand Hill that is a 2" round, plain, white dial, with glass cover. I love it so much that I just wrote Sand Hill to ask if they can find and sell me another.

What I also don't like about most new stove thermometers (besides the fact that they are cheaply made) is that they have cute "too cool - safe - danger" zones marked on them. Some have one going into the danger zone at 450 degrees. This is pretty arbitrary. Most of them say that the 550 deg we burn at is dangerous. That's nonsense, 550 is safely within our stove recommended specs. Normal safe operating temps vary with stove designs and fuel types. What's a good for a soapstone is not the same as a cast stove. The last thing you want to do is to have to explain to the missus why you are burning the stove in the danger zone of 500 degrees if that's where the stove was designed to run.

ERPARKER said:
Will these sorts of thermometers work well with flush inserts? I just finished reading "The Woodburner's Companion: Practical Ways Of Heating With Wood" and it sounds like a thermometer is pretty much mandatory if you're concerned about having an efficient fire while minimizing smoke and creosote, but I'm not sure where to place it on a flush insert.

Lopi says place the thermometer directly over the doors on the Declaration. But that will be a challenge with the pretty trim on your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.