Q&A Glass etched on Quadrafire Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Thank you for the quick reply!! I have a QuadraFire woodstove that is about 6 years old.
1. Over time the Pyroceram glass doors have taken on a filmy appearance. I have used a variety of products (mostly of the windex variety) to clean the doors when needed. This is not a matter of soot or anything like that- just what appears to be a light etching on the glass. Is there anything that can be done to restore them to their original transparent appearance?
2. The owners manual recommends cleaning the glass with a non-abrasive cleaner like "Elco Glass Cleaner." If I had been using a product like this all along- would it have avoided this problem?

Answer:

1. This glass will get etched over the years due to chemicals in the wood- ash and in cleaners.
2. Possibly an even lighter cleaner like windex- or the special ones carried at your local Hearth Retailer will make the glass last longer and clearer.
Some hints at http://robaxglass.com

Link: Robax Glas Site

Status
Not open for further replies.