Glass Hearth Plates - specifications

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sean_foley

Mar 25, 2007
My wife and I have purchased a new stove. We plan to install it in our living room. The living room floor is wood. We plan to place a glass hearth plate on the floor underneath the stove.

We believe that we need to use tempered glass to do this. However, I have read elsewhere this this type of glass is prone to shattering.

Is this true.?

If it is not true, what type of glass should we order.? What I mean is, what technical specifications should the glass have?

Many thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean, welcome.

What stove have you purchased? My main concern would be that the hearth provides the specified thermal resistance required. This varies from stove to stove, but glass is not the best insulator around. A secondary concern would be the concentrated weight where the stove feet make contact with very small areas of the glass. Perhaps that could be addressed by a small pad under each foot.

This is the first time I've heard of glass being used for this purpose. It's an intriguing idea. Have you seen it done elsewhere?

My Morso dealer carries glass hearth pads, either square or rounded fronts, clear and smoked color. He says you can use them on wood floors. But can only be used with certain stoves. They cost abut $250.00.

At the show, all the Scan stoves in the Jotul were on glass hearth's. I commented on how simple and elegant it looked below those very modern looking stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.