Glass hearth thickness for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Schafer

Mar 3, 2020
Missouri
I’m in the process of a remodel. We are adding a wood stove (harman 2.6). For the hearth we are wanting a large sheet of glass. Our stove only requires ember protection. We are going with glass because we like the look, less material to stub your toe on, and to show off the new hard wood flooring. I can’t determine how thick of glass I need. I’m currently looking at a 42x62 sheet of tempered glass that’s 1/4 inch thick and beveled around the edges. The stove has legs not a pedestal. I would think 1/4 inch would be fine since the flooring below will support the weight everywhere.Any insight on glass thickness would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I should also note that the stove weighs about 450lbs. And it is not the primary heat source. It will mainly just be used the keep the living room cozy through the winter

Glass hearth pads aren’t very thick. 3/16-1/4”. Use clear silicone around the perimeter of the pad, otherwise dirt, ashes and dust will find their way under there and be unsightly. Keep in mind, If you have a damp crawl or basement it will mildew under the pad of you seal it.

Don’t be scared off by the people in that thread warning how easily it breaks. It will break if you hit it on the edge. We throw tempered fireplace doors to our dumpster all the time. You can throw concrete gas logs at them as hard as you can and the glass doesn’t break! It’s incredible!

But if the floor under it isn't level it absolutely can break.

Reactions: Ludlow
Keeping it clean is going to be a major PITA. I've been living in very contemporary houses for 30 years with lots of glass accents like tables and display cases without having a wood stove or fireplace in them and it's so much work keeping it clean. Every speck of dust is visible.

It is surprisingly forgiving. We’ve done a few, it’s very nerve racking!
Oh I know it is much tougher than you would think.

But if the floor under it isn't level it absolutely can break.

I don't think it matters much if it is level but I would think it should be flat.

I have been installing slab mirrors on walls and they are now like 3/16" or 1/8" thick. The slabs of glass actually flex quite a bit without breaking.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I don't think it matters much if it is level but I would think it should be flat.

I have been installing slab mirrors on walls and they are now like 3/16" or 1/8" thick. The slabs of glass actually flex quite a bit without breaking.
Yes I should have said flat. Tempered glass doesn't flex as much but still does a fair amount

I used to work at a glass plant which manufactured tempered glass. It is extremely strong as everyone is saying. You just need to be concerned about the edges. Tempered glass has stress points and if you hit the edge hard with blunt object (like a hammer) it’s possible for the glass to shatter or break. Highly unlikely for something like that to happen.

Thanks for the replies! Most glass hearths I’ve found online are used by smaller stoves or stoves with a pedestal. I would think the spots where the legs meet the glass could be the problem areas. To combat this I’m thinking of putting something under each leg to spread out the weight. Possibly 2x2” squares made out of steel plate. Thoughts?

Think friction too. Stoves can walk around on stone hearths, the stove might really slide easily on glass. I like your idea of spreading out the point loads. Would look for something more attractive than steel squares though. Think wooden coasters for drink cups.

Reactions: Mech e
Deffinately put something between the legs and the glass, and little burr will cause that glass to go BOOM..
I specialize in heavy glass shower enclosures..
Check with a local glass/shower door shop, I’m sure they have something for next to nothing, tempered..
I have a piece of 3/8” tempered, roughly 48x76 w/FPE that had a slight flaw in it I’d give to anyone that could use it..

Reactions: Highbeam