glass retainer screw problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bootman6750

Sep 24, 2017
muskoka ontario
hi all
i have replaced my glass gasket on my napoleon woodstove and now the screws will not grab
ive purchased new screws which are quadrex self tap type y # 10 3/8 they still do not grab and was told can go one size bigger cannot find another tech told me use machine screws with high temp blue loctite
holes do not seem to be tapped
any ideas
thanks

Is there enough material to re-drill the holes & tap some threads for a #12 screw?
You will have to enlarge the hole from .010" to .013" on a side, depending on the thread pitch you want.

Since those holes are so shallow I would not use self tappers...the threads out on the end won't engage compromised threads very well. Use them to make threads if you must...I would rather use a bottoming tap myself, but either way, use standard screws to hold the glass in...not so sure about the hi-temp Loctite...it only takes 450-500* to melt that