Go Big? Or Go Small?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your house layout and square footage of the living room, dining room, and kitchen is almost a carbon copy of mine, right down to the French doors (though mine are pocket doors instead). Difference is that I don't have a 2nd floor, and the bedrooms and bathrooms are off the back. Total square footage is 1250 square feet.

In a Central NY climate (8000+ degree days/year), my Lopi Answer (1.6 cu ft firebox) with the blower provides plenty of heat for the kitchen, dining room, den (off the living room) and living room until the temperature gets below 20 degrees. These four rooms are about 700 square feet. My house has insulation blown into the walls, attic insulation, and good windows with storm windows. If I'm patient with the warmup in the mornings on weekends and holidays, I don't have to turn the oil heat on at all. The back rooms are a little cooler - by about 10 degrees - but since they are the bedrooms, we don't mind. The living room is about 75 degrees, dining room about 72 degrees, and kitchen about 68-70 degrees. If the temperature goes down to 0 degrees, I am still good to go - everything is cooler by about 3-5 degrees, which my wife and I are good with since this usually happens during overnights. Days are warmer, so the house gets warmer when we are running the stove.

So, just to try to extrapolate - you have a milder climate than I do, but you will probably be burning softwoods instead of hardwoods, so that will probably balance out. If you like your upstairs pretty warm, or if you don't want to load the stove every ~4 hours, then a slightly larger stove might be for you. But I would not go with anything much much larger than I have. Your upstairs will probably be warmer than my back area since heat rises, so that is working in your favor. This is all assuming your walls are insulated as well as mine, and your windows are as good as mine.

I can have still have overnight coals in my stove when using hardwoods, but this is probably not realistic with softwoods.
If you aren't going to burn continuously, then a medium size stove might be better for better "pick up" if you don't have your backup heating on. Still, I don't think that you'll really need it.
If you really want to lounge around in your living room in your shorts in the wintertime, then maybe you'd want the medium sized stove.

There are many who will advocate for the biggest stove. The biggest stove may be the best, but I just want to balance out the feedback on this and give you the viewpoint of what a smaller stove will do in a house that is similar in size and layout to what you have. I would advocate for getting the "right-sized" stove and not trying to plan for the 5 coldest days of the winter - you can always turn your backup heat on those days.

I would go with the 450 unless the difference in price for the 550 makes it a no brainer. The 450 should be plenty considering your climate and what you need to heat. I wouldn't worry about the 550 being too big though. Take the best deal. The upcharge from the 450 to the 550 for me was maybe $200. You'll probably be fine either way. Nice stoves, you will be very happy.

If I can build a smaller fire in the big C550, wouldn't that be the answer because then I have the best of both worlds. I am not really saving money by going to the smaller Jotul models. The dealer prices them each about $200 apart. If the insert gets too hot can I turn off the blower to regulate the heat? I like the looks of the Rockland the best also. I have some time to decide because I am going to retile the fireplace surround and hearth first, so I am about a month away from having to make a decision. Seems like there really isn't a right or wrong answer here is there...

No, just lots of shades of gray. ;-)

Johnny1977 said:
If I can build a smaller fire in the big C550, wouldn't that be the answer because then I have the best of both worlds. I am not really saving money by going to the smaller Jotul models. The dealer prices them each about $200 apart. If the insert gets too hot can I turn off the blower to regulate the heat? I like the looks of the Rockland the best also. I have some time to decide because I am going to retile the fireplace surround and hearth first, so I am about a month away from having to make a decision. Seems like there really isn't a right or wrong answer here is there...

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!! But since you are gonna be home. .... Go big or you will wish you had. You can always make a smaller fire.

Here's another vote for going larger rather than smaller. I'd also go with a cat rather than a non-cat since you can burn them longer and lower should you want to do so... plus they'll use less wood.

Can't agree with the consensus here. The choices presented are between Medium and Large. Small would be a C350 Winterport. For this location medium seems just about right. Having too large a stove can be a pain at times if the stove is too large for over 50% of normal burning. And it can be less efficient to have it always turned down and not up to a good operating temp.

Portland, OR averages above freezing for most of the winter. Average temp in mid Dec/Jan is like 40. True there can be cold snaps that drop it into the 20's but on average this is a pretty mild climate zone. With a bit of tightening up on the old house the C450 should be able to do the job easily and will be able to run steadily whereas the C550 may have to be be shut down and run multiple times a day to avoid getting the place too warm or running the stove too cool.

I guess that's why I suggest going with the cat. Cats allow for lower, longer, and more consistant burn temps throughout the heating cycle... so you can have your cake and eat it too. BUT, Jotul doesn't offer a cat either.

Well said, BeGreen.

I see now that the C450 has a single door. Is the single door a better way to go than the double doors? I have heard that the 2 doors can be problematic. Is there a C450 thread discussing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.