Going for the Jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2010
Central NJ
The wife and I decided this weekend we are going to go with the Jotul 550. Saw it this weekend and loved the look, not to mention all the great reviews we have read on this board (thanks guys).

I tried doing a search without any luck, I was hoping someone may be able to help. I am looking for a picture of the wood you guys load your inserts with (maybe a side shot). Our old stove did not like large pieces of split wood, so I would end up splitting it pretty small to burn well. The wood we have delivered was already split, but I would end up splitting down to 1/2 that to work well. By the sounds of it, I may be saving myself a lot of extra work because it looks like these newer inserts can burn quite efficiently.

Starting to get a little chilly here in Jersey, hoping they can install it ASAP.

Was this with delivered wood? If so, it might not be all the way seasoned. It could be that by resplitting the wood you were exposing more surface area and helping it to dry out faster. If that is the case, the C550 will not be much happier. All modern EPA stoves burn much better with fully seasoned wood.

Next time you buy wood, ask how long ago it was split. Often when a seller says "seasoned 2 years" it is not. Sometimes they mean the tree has been dead or logs have been on the ground for a couple years. But the wood doesn't really start seasoning until after it has been split.

You have a point, I was going by what the tree guy told me. I have had about 1/2 cord sitting for well over a year now, so I will have to try that first this year to see if it is any better.

where u getting the stove from? i can tell u some good wood guys in central nj near the coast.

The name of the place is Wood Heat in Flemington. I was extemely satisfied with the salesman I spoke to on Saturday, well knowledged about the stoves and very polite. Answered all my questions.

The 550 will burn virtually any size piece of wood you can fit into the firebox and that stove has a generous firebox. A friend of mine just put one of these in and absolutely loves the stove. It is one of the nicest inserts on the market in terms of aesthetics, performance, and quality. I burn 12mo seasoned oak and hard maple in my Castine and it'll burn any size split. If your glass is staying clean, you know your wood is dry.

Jotul recommends seasoning for 6-12 months. Wood drying time varies considerably depending on your location, the weather, the size of the splits, and wood is storage. My maple syrup guy stacks his wood loosely for good air circulation and covers only the top of the stack with overhanging metal and plastic sheet. The sides are left exposed to allow for air circulation. A dedicated 3-sided wood shed is nice too. I use brown plastic tarps on the top of my stacks that I take off when it is not raining. Putting your stack in a sunny, windy location is ideal.

I find it is nice to have a variety of different size splits to accomodate different burning styles and habits. You don't want all huge chunks and you don't want only small pieces that torch up right away. Smaller splits will ignite quicker than larger ones. This also allows you to better pack the box full at night, though you won't have that problem with the 550 size.

Good luck with your purchase. You won't go wrong with a 550.

Thanks for the advice. I do not think I have seen a bad review yet on their inserts, so the decision is pretty easy for us. The hit on the wallet is another story :)

Jotul's are not cheap, but in this case, you do get what you pay for.

The c550 is a nice stove and I probably would have gotten one if it fit in my fireplace. Good luck with it.
As for your wood, sounds like you had wet wood, I don't know your wood guy but I know alot of them and none keep wood for two years. If you are buying wood always assume that you have to season it yourself, alot of guys will have logs sitting for 2 months or so and then split it after you order it and they will call it seasoned wood. If possible buy next years wood now. Your new stove will likely give you the same issues if you burn wet wood.

Thanks. I have probably 3/4 of a cord left and it has been in my yard for 1.5 years now, so it should be good to go. I plan on ordering more, but the wife and I planning on reconfiguring our patio area and would hate to have to move and restack a couple of cords more than once. Hopefully we can iron out where the wood is staying this weekend so I can get another delivery. Too much work, not enough time :)

I hear you bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.