Should I Get a Blaze King? (New & Confused)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BabyItsColdOutside

Oct 12, 2023
Nevada
Little backstory, we are on oil baseboard heaters right now and it is EXPENSIVE. It costs us about $550-650 a month depending on the weather and we are absolutely over it.

We are looking to invest in an insert for our fireplace. We went down and talked to a dealer today and we've opted to go the wood burning insert route, because we really want to be able to use it if the power goes out. The dealer is suggesting we go with a Blaze King. We have an open layout with about 2400sqft. The price though, good golly. They are quoting us between $7000-8000 with instillation.

So my question is... are Blaze Kings worth it? Is there another option I am missing that is just as good? We just want something that is easy to use, can heat a relatively large space and burns for a long time. I am not concerned about aesthetics.

There are many good inserts on the market, Blaze King being one of the best in catalytics. Their best feature is the ability to burn low and slow. Unfortunately, during the pandemic, stove and chimney part prices skyrocketed. If cost is a serious issue consider something like the non-cat, Osburn 3500 insert. Both of these qualify for the 25C tax credit which will caps out at $2000.

One thing you’ll need is wood. If it’s not put up, you will probably have a frustrating experience. Wood will need time to dry. I’m not sure how long if you’re in the desert though. Don’t automatically believe a seller that says their wood is “seasoned” or dry.

Have you insulated your house as much as possible? Are you lowering the heat in unused rooms?

Reactions: BKVP
Purchase a moisture meter! You'll learn a great deal from forum members. We each have opinions of stoves; but we all are united on:
1) Burn dry, well seasoned wood
2) Install your insert according to instructions
3) A safe installation is 100% necessary
4) Use a good quality venting product (inserts should use a quality insulated liner)
5) Follow a thorough cleaning and maintenance process each burning season
6) #1

BKVP

Reactions: EbS-P and paredown
I just am using a Blaze King smaller woodstove a Sirrocco 20 (the "20" signifies the hours of burn time tests they do, with optimal wood and conditions, similarly they have models with 30's and 40's after their names for the same reasons). As you may guess, my stove is the smallest of the Blaze Kings. I live in a small house with a tiny living room so I don't need a big box on mine.

Anyway, everyone I've talked to that has a Blaze King loves it. I love mine so far. I think it's like having an old, clunky mountain bike with no shocks and crummy brakes, and then getting a nice bicycle with shocks, great brakes, smooth riding and shifting, etc. It's just great. It makes my house so comfy and nice, and I really, REALLY love seeing my "natural" gas bills plummet.

It makes sense, too, if you have neighbours close by to get a stove that doesn't pump out wood smoke, but rather you just see heatwaves come out the chimney. Pure poetry if you ask me. It's far better emissions-wise than just about any other source of heat (unless you have renewable electricity and a heat pump). Wood emits carbon when it rots, with burning wood you are speeding up the process of emitting the carbon but not supporting fracking or oil exploration which are all hard on the land, air and climate. So, yeah, if you can afford a Blaze King.... think about the SAVINGS after you get it. A lot of people have written that they're burning about half the wood they used to with it. That will depend on your situation but my stove advertises 33 percent less wood needed. Yep. It's great. That automatic damper control/ thermostat is amazing. You can sit and watch embers slowly have flames licking the surfaces of logs, die down then fire up again, die down, fire up, etc, etc. For me, it's a marvel to behold.

Other reasons to get a woodstove: you'll sooth those aching bones like no other form of heat, by sitting in front of the fire. You'll be more relaxed in general. Sitting by the fire is good for us, it harkens back to our primordial nature. You'll sleep better. The air in your home will be fresher without using oil or gas. It's just fantastic.

Good luck and please post about what you decide and where you go with all this. Regards, BC Josh

Reactions: EbS-P
I'm heating around 1800 sq ft with 13 ft cathedral ceilings and an open layout. I'm in a milder climate than you are, though. Recent install, so haven't been through a full season of temperatures. So far, a BK Princess has been enough for the coldest days so far (overnight in the mid-40's, daytime low 50s) on it's lowest air setting. I've taken to building small fires (1/4 to 1/3 of the firebox) to not overheat the space.

It's been easy to operate. Set the air control / thermostat once after startup or reload and then ignore it for 8 to 12 hours. My NG furnace has been turned off so far this heating season. I don't miss it.

Maintaining a supply of seasoned wood is a significant amount of work here, even with my own woodlot. Hurt my back last weekend helping a neighbor split his large pile of already downed and bucked trees (we'll each get half). Be sure to consider where/how you'll get and store wood.

I suspect that almost any cat stove would work in this climate, but yours might be cold enough to consider a non-cat.

It makes sense, too, if you have neighbours close by to get a stove that doesn't pump out wood smoke, but rather you just see heatwaves come out the chimney. Pure poetry if you ask me. It's far better emissions-wise than just about any other source of heat (unless you have renewable electricity and a heat pump). Wood emits carbon when it rots, with burning wood you are speeding up the process of emitting the carbon but not supporting fracking or oil exploration which are all hard on the land, air and climate.

Any wood stove burned with dry wood and proper draft won't put smoke out the chimney. I have an early 80s smoke dragon in my basement and rarely have visible smoke coming out the chimney except for during cold starts

Any wood stove burned with dry wood and proper draft won't put smoke out the chimney. I have an early 80s smoke dragon in my basement and rarely have visible smoke coming out the chimney except for during cold starts
Interesting. I'm just learning but I see my neighbours pumping out a lot of smoke from their chimneys. And, I live in a town which makes it yicky to walk around sometimes by homes which are pumping out smoke. Yeah, they likely have wet wood. I buy seasoned wood, thankfully, it's 20% in its core, after splitting larger chunks open. A good wood supplier is great, if you're not out harvesting the stuff yourself.

Little backstory, we are on oil baseboard heaters right now and it is EXPENSIVE. It costs us about $550-650 a month depending on the weather and we are absolutely over it.

We are looking to invest in an insert for our fireplace. We went down and talked to a dealer today and we've opted to go the wood burning insert route, because we really want to be able to use it if the power goes out. The dealer is suggesting we go with a Blaze King. We have an open layout with about 2400sqft. The price though, good golly. They are quoting us between $7000-8000 with instillation.

So my question is... are Blaze Kings worth it? Is there another option I am missing that is just as good? We just want something that is easy to use, can heat a relatively large space and burns for a long time. I am not concerned about aesthetics.
Well, I see you're in Nevada.... how often would you use your stove? Won't you mostly be lighting one small fire in the evenings?
I'm in the Rockies in S.E. BC, Canada here so I need a lot of heat in the winter months, as it hovers below freezing most of the winter with a few cold snaps (-20C/-4F) that last a few days usually.

That quote sounds a little high to me anyway. I paid $7K Canadian (about $5K US dollars), just two months ago, to have a smaller Blaze King fully installed with insulated chimney up through my first floor, through my attic and out the roof. Maybe the insert unit you were looking at, itself is expensive to begin with? My stove was $3,500.xx Canadian ($2,500.xx US) and that's including the 12% sales taxes I paid. The stainless steel, double walled chimney and installation was about another $3,500.xx Canadian.

You can burn a significant lesser amount of wood with the Blaze Kings which is great. I don't know enough about them to rave about them too, too much, but from all reviews you get a nice even constant heat with them, like having a gas or electric stove. And, that's what I'm finding. Yep, love mine. I feel like it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I know I'll be getting back the money in time (and then saving money) instead of giving it over to the gas company that keeps asking for more and more.

I feel so relaxed in the evenings, too.... that wood heat melts my aching bones! I get to sleep faster.

I just am using a Blaze King smaller woodstove a Sirrocco 20 (the "20" signifies the hours of burn time tests they do, with optimal wood and conditions, similarly they have models with 30's and 40's after their names for the same reasons).
The 20, 30, or 40 model designation is relative to the firebox size with the 20 being their ~2 cu ft size, 30 being ~3 cu ft, and the KE 40 4 cu ft. Burn time hours are relative to several variables including the wood density, wood moisture content, draft strength, loading of the stove, and user operation.

Well, I see you're in Nevada.... how often would you use your stove? Won't you mostly be lighting one small fire in the evenings?
I'm in the Rockies in S.E. BC, Canada here so I need a lot of heat in the winter months, as it hovers below freezing most of the winter with a few cold snaps (-20C/-4F) that last a few days usually.

That quote sounds a little high to me anyway. I paid $7K Canadian (about $5K US dollars), just two months ago, to have a smaller Blaze King fully installed with insulated chimney up through my first floor, through my attic and out the roof. Maybe the insert unit you were looking at, itself is expensive to begin with? My stove was $3,500.xx Canadian ($2,500.xx US) and that's including the 12% sales taxes I paid. The stainless steel, double walled chimney and installation was about another $3,500.xx Canadian.

You can burn a significant lesser amount of wood with the Blaze Kings which is great. I don't know enough about them to rave about them too, too much, but from all reviews you get a nice even constant heat with them, like having a gas or electric stove. And, that's what I'm finding. Yep, love mine. I feel like it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I know I'll be getting back the money in time (and then saving money) instead of giving it over to the gas company that keeps asking for more and more.

I feel so relaxed in the evenings, too.... that wood heat melts my aching bones! I get to sleep faster.

Cat stoves (not just blazekings) can burn slow and a load can last all day when it's not that cold outside, but when it gets really cold like it will in the Canadian Rockies you will not be getting these long burns, you will be getting similar burn times as non cat stoves will. The advantage of cat stoves is really during the shoulder season when less heat is needed.

Very true. We get regular 12-14 hr burns in mild weather even though it's with softwood. In cold weather, as the stove is pushed harder for more heat, that drops down to 8 hrs.

Very true. We get regular 12-14 hr burns in mild weather even though it's with softwood. In cold weather, as the stove is pushed harder for more heat, that drops down to 8 hrs.
Puget Sounds is pretty mild. Sounds like a good stove for that area. I do have a line on some larch for next year, though, which is pretty hard and gives long burn times.

It's mild though the stove is heating an old farmhouse with a ton of windows so the heat loss is above average.

The 20, 30, or 40 model designation is relative to the firebox size with the 20 being their ~2 cu ft size, 30 being ~3 cu ft, and the KE 40 4 cu ft. Burn time hours are relative to several variables including the wood density, wood moisture content, draft strength, loading of the stove, and user operation.
I didn't know about the cubic feet firebox size being indicative of the number of the model. I do know that the Blaze King website specifies "up to 20 hours, Burn Time on Low" for my Sirrocco 20.2
And, "Burn Time on Low: up to 30 hours" for the Sirrocco 30.2. All of their models have that corresponding number to the low burn times. But, the firebox size is also part of that number as you write.

You aren't going to save much if any wood with a bk vs a stove from another manufacturer of similar size and efficiency. They are great stoves if you need low and slow but not worth it if you will be running it harder in my opinion. This is coming from someone who has used many stoves including a princess and several high quality modern non cat stoves.

I recommend secondary tube stove and a heatpump. It’s just a winning combination. Any time the weather is above 39 degrees the heatpump works great. Down here that means lots of cold starts in the morning and evening so i definitely get the convenience of the BK. I don’t think a BK is ever a mistake just know you have options.

Blaze kings are very nice stoves. I just couldn’t justify the extra cost and went with a Drolet. It won’t see but 29 loads a year. Maybe more now there are bedrooms in the basement.

So, yeah, if you can afford a Blaze King.... think about the SAVINGS after you get it.
It's a good solution for many, but it's also a more complex solution. As noted, the savings are primarily during mild weather burning. When pushed, the wood consumption is about the same. In comparison, for us over 15 yrs, the T6 has been a considerable savings just in replacement cats alone. It has also been easier to use by multiple family members without concern of damaging the cat or bypass frame etc. due to human error. Additionally, the glass stays clean and there is a fire view even when burning smaller loads. What balances the equation is that we have a heat pump to handle the milder temps. The stove does not get lit until temps drop below 40-45ºF.
This is not to knock the BK stoves. They are among the best pure cat designs, but cat stoves are not the ideal solution for all households.

Reactions: kborndale and EbS-P
Thanks for the posts. I forget that folks live in other climates than mine and require different situations. Yes, the catalytic burners are expensive to replace, very true. I like the idea of less emissions since I live in a municipality and I'm concerned about greenhouse gas emissions. Also, I live in a zone that hovers just below freezing most of the time in the winter, so I like the idea of a thermostat to keep a low and slow burn.

Reactions: EbS-P
Thanks for the posts. I forget that folks live in other climates than mine and require different situations. Yes, the catalytic burners are expensive to replace, very true. I like the idea of less emissions since I live in a municipality and I'm concerned about greenhouse gas emissions. Also, I live in a zone that hovers just below freezing most of the time in the winter, so I like the idea of a thermostat to keep a low and slow burn.
The emissions really aren't that different between good cat and good noncat stoves.

The emissions really aren't that different between good cat and good noncat stoves.
Okay, first time I've heard this.... A catalytic burner on cars, for example, sure helped California clean up it's smog..... similar with woodstoves I'd wager a bet.

You aren't going to save much if any wood with a bk vs a stove from another manufacturer of similar size and efficiency. They are great stoves if you need low and slow but not worth it if you will be running it harder in my opinion. This is coming from someone who has used many stoves including a princess and several high quality modern non cat stoves.
My BK is so great low and slow. Saves me a ton of fiddling around with wood chunks, poking the fire, adjusting a damper. I love the bimetallic spring that creates an auto damper system. It means a small stove can be almost like a gas furnace all night. No need to get up and re-feed the fire. My BK is good at smoldering a fire to make it last. I'm certainly glad I bought one but I see your points. Perhaps they are overhyped and much is a sales pitch? But, every owner of one tells me how much they love 'em and several posts in this forum have pointed to burning less wood after installing one.

My BK is so great low and slow. Saves me a ton of fiddling around with wood chunks, poking the fire, adjusting a damper. I love the bimetallic spring that creates an auto damper system. It means a small stove can be almost like a gas furnace all night. No need to get up and re-feed the fire. My BK is good at smoldering a fire to make it last. I'm certainly glad I bought one but I see your points. Perhaps they are overhyped and much is a sales pitch? But, every owner of one tells me how much they love 'em and several posts in this forum have pointed to burning less wood after installing one.

This is all great now in shoulder season but come December thru February you will need to turn up the thermostat and will be burning the same amount of wood as non cat stoves. Wood only has so many btus in it, cat stoves slow down the release of those btus but they don't change how much heat comes out of the wood.

This is all great now in shoulder season but come December thru February you will need to turn up the thermostat and will be burning the same amount of wood as non cat stoves. Wood only has so many btus in it, cat stoves slow down the release of those btus but they don't change how much heat comes out of the wood.
Absolutely. I know I'll have to be stoking and feeding a larger, higher temp fire. But, I'm in what is known as an interior rain forest, similar to the coast of BC, Canada and WA, USA except instead of rain all the time, it snows a ton and the temperatures hover below freezing most of the time. Not very cold here. Mild winters. An unusual zone. A few cold snaps here and there when an Arctic cold front sneaks in, where it goes to around 4F (-20C) but they typically only last a few days. The world is warming in general anyway. I'm happy with my BK and they seem to both overhyped and undervalued for their abilities quite often. There are a lot of variables and some subtle nuances as to their applications.

Okay, first time I've heard this.... A catalytic burner on cars, for example, sure helped California clean up it's smog..... similar with woodstoves I'd wager a bet.
Look at the emissions testing. Cats and non cats are very similar over all