Should I Get a Blaze King? (New & Confused)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Absolutely. I know I'll have to be stoking and feeding a larger, higher temp fire. But, I'm in what is known as an interior rain forest, similar to the coast of BC, Canada and WA, USA except instead of rain all the time, it snows a ton and the temperatures hover below freezing most of the time. Not very cold here. Mild winters. An unusual zone. A few cold snaps here and there when an Arctic cold front sneaks in, where it goes to around 4F (-20C) but they typically only last a few days. The world is warming in general anyway. I'm happy with my BK and they seem to both overhyped and undervalued for their abilities quite often. There are a lot of variables and some subtle nuances as to their applications.

Im not knocking blazekings, they are great stoves. At those temps if you have a tight, well insulated house you could probably run it like shoulder season all winter. But if an average insulated house, if it's cold enough to snow you will have to crank it up.

My BK is so great low and slow. Saves me a ton of fiddling around with wood chunks, poking the fire, adjusting a damper. I love the bimetallic spring that creates an auto damper system. It means a small stove can be almost like a gas furnace all night. No need to get up and re-feed the fire. My BK is good at smoldering a fire to make it last. I'm certainly glad I bought one but I see your points. Perhaps they are overhyped and much is a sales pitch? But, every owner of one tells me how much they love 'em and several posts in this forum have pointed to burning less wood after installing one.
What other stoves have you used? Yes the low and slow is great for mild weather but for me that time is very short and once it gets cold I see no difference in wood consumption or burn times between the Princess and the Regency I used previously in the same house. And I have never messed with the stove after loading it getting it to temp and shutting it back. Also never gotten up to load a stove.

Again Blaze kings are great stoves and I recommend them in many cases when I think they are a good fit. But I don't think they are the best fit for everyone

Look at the emissions testing. Cats and non cats are very similar over all
Looks like I lost the bet. Luckily, I only wagered my pride. ;em I just read some studies by universities and governments and, yes, it is either inconclusive or stating that newer stoves, whether catalytic or not, have a lot less emissions than older "traditional" wood stoves... OK. Well, I suppose the auto damper on the Blaze Kings, one could argue emit less particulates due to the fact that they just burn less wood than other stoves when you set them on low and slow?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Here I was so smug bragging about my new stove. I still love it though.... but I hope the catalytic burner doesn't need replacing too often. I like the auto damper anyway. Seems like a great stove but from comments in here, a lot of folks can buy a less expensive option and get the same effects. There are non-cat wood stoves with auto dampers too right? I thought the old Valley Comfort we had when I was kid was like this?.....

Looks like I lost the bet. Luckily, I only wagered my pride. ;em I just read some studies by universities and governments and, yes, it is either inconclusive or stating that newer stoves, whether catalytic or not, have a lot less emissions than older "traditional" wood stoves... OK. Well, I suppose the auto damper on the Blaze Kings, one could argue emit less particulates due to the fact that they just burn less wood than other stoves when you set them on low and slow?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Here I was so smug bragging about my new stove. I still love it though.... but I hope the catalytic burner doesn't need replacing too often. I like the auto damper anyway. Seems like a great stove but from comments in here, a lot of folks can buy a less expensive option and get the same effects. There are non-cat wood stoves with auto dampers too right? I thought the old Valley Comfort we had when I was kid was like this?.....
I would expect 2 to 3 years per cat.

Okay, first time I've heard this.... A catalytic burner on cars, for example, sure helped California clean up it's smog..... similar with woodstoves I'd wager a bet.
Not a great equivalent. In the case of stoves there is more than one way to achieve lower emissions. Both cat and non-cats are able to reduce emissions greatly. The difference between .9 gm/hr and 1.1 is really small.
It's a good stove and thermostatic control is nice. We had it on our 1979 Resolute and liked it. The point is that there are other options that are also good depending on the home and the user's needs.

Fewer particulates per hour (maybe) when turned down but about the same at equivalent heat outputs or per unit of wood burned. They're all inside the EPA limits so there's not big differences between them.

The big advantage of the catalytic stoves is being able to turn then down farther and they will still burn clean. The reburn types need a minimum air flow for the reburn to function.

Fewer particulates per hour (maybe) when turned down but about the same at equivalent heat outputs or per unit of wood burned. They're all inside the EPA limits so there's not big differences between them.

The big advantage of the catalytic stoves is being able to turn then down farther and they will still burn clean. The reburn types need a minimum air flow for the reburn to function.
Yes absolutely that is the advantage of cat stoves. So if someone needs low output obviously a cat stove is the clear choice. But if you don't why pay for cats that you won't benefit from

What other stoves have you used? Yes the low and slow is great for mild weather but for me that time is very short and once it gets cold I see no difference in wood consumption or burn times between the Princess and the Regency I used previously in the same house. And I have never messed with the stove after loading it getting it to temp and shutting it back. Also never gotten up to load a stove.

Again Blaze kings are great stoves and I recommend them in many cases when I think they are a good fit. But I don't think they are the best fit for everyone
When I was a kid, in the 80's, we had a Valley Comfort (which is affiliated with Blaze King, I think) I'm not sure what other kinds of stoves I've used, it was in houses that I house sat, or baby sat in, and had to load the fire. When I was a kid, almost all my friends had woodstoves and they often had a big box they'd build next to it, and in those days, we burned a lot of wood, every household probably 4 to 5 cords as their primary heat source. So, mostly indirect experiences using other folks' stoves.

Thanks for the responses.

Thank you for the invite to do so. When you consider FBV there is, in percentage terms, a significant difference. I will agree that once you get this clean burning, there is likely not much difference when burned in the real world. But, when asked to compare the actual certification data, published by EPA, well. there it is.

One additional observation to ALWAYS remember, not all stoves were tested to the SAME METHODS! I've posted this many times before, the end of test which influences Btu's. emissions and efficiency is different between the two methods. I encourage everyone to always read the test reports and not just manuals, brochures or even EPA's list. The test reports show every detail and while they a voluminous, they do provide every detail.

BKVP

Cat Emissions vs Non Cat Emissions.JPG