Going to Menards to buy a stove for the basement for occasional use.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok.. I’ll look into it more before I do anything. I’ll find someone who has done the job before and hopefully at least a few times and see what they say.

Ok.. I’ll look into it more before I do anything. I’ll find someone who has done the job before and hopefully at least a few times and see what they say.
I have done the job allot more than a few times and the only way to do it is top down block by block.

Reactions: hilly
Not everyone can afford to hire a professional.

Especially all the folks who will not be receiving a paycheck tomorrow.
Very true but it would be far cheaper than the fallout from his proposed solution.

Reactions: hilly and TWilk117
It's not a binary choice between hiring a pro and playing Chimney Jenga. Sheathing is 20 bucks a board and drywall is 10. He can take it down from the top without spending thousands.

Huh.. well shheeoott.... maybe the chimney will stay then. The good thing is that I am in no hurry to do anything with it. It could stay and I have heard that if it starts to get in bad shape above the roof I could hire a mason to have it encapsulated on that portion in cement and that’d last around 20 years... long enough where someone else would likely have to worry about it then.

Huh.. well shheeoott.... maybe the chimney will stay then. The good thing is that I am in no hurry to do anything with it. It could stay and I have heard that if it starts to get in bad shape above the roof I could hire a mason to have it encapsulated on that portion in cement and that’d last around 20 years... long enough where someone else would likely have to worry about it then.

I took mine down all 6.5 feet of it brick by brick to below the roof line when I upgraded my gas furnace to a HE one, and switched to electric hot water. It had 2 flues in it as well. Took a day.

I did this because I was redoing the roof.

It's not a binary choice between hiring a pro and playing Chimney Jenga. Sheathing is 20 bucks a board and drywall is 10. He can take it down from the top without spending thousands.
I could take out a section of wall and do it the right way myself I’m sure. I’ve done enough drywall work at my own places to do it but I’m not sure if getting rid of the eyesore and a roof opening would be worth the effort. The house was built in 1978 and I bet it wasn’t much longer after then that they stopped using the big block chimneys.

If you wait till it is in bad shap it won't last 20 years at all. And it would be cheaper to just relay the top few block anyway.

I could take out a section of wall and do it the right way myself I’m sure. I’ve done enough drywall work at my own places to do it but I’m not sure if getting rid of the eyesore and a roof opening would be worth the effort. The house was built in 1978 and I bet it wasn’t much longer after then that they stopped using the big block chimneys.
Block chimneys are still used quite often on houses

Reactions: WiscWoody
Maybe I missed something...why not line the chimney? If there's not enough room then bust out the clay liner...

Maybe I missed something...why not line the chimney? If there's not enough room then bust out the clay liner...
That won't address the water heater issue.

373292ED-5CE2-4339-BAA7-B49FA705DDB8.jpeg 573691B9-A0F4-4B87-A29F-B93301356CC9.jpeg 9392E0EF-8C14-4E61-A8CC-AB1C4C0C793B.jpeg Ok. Thanks for the advice bholler! I took a few photos inside of the house where the chimney is and you can see exactly what I’d be looking at if I busted into the wall. I’ll post them here.

Edit: This is an intererior wall that goes into a hallway and the door that’s in the photo is a bathroom doorway. It’s 20 out now so it’s cold enough to show where the chimney shaft is. If your curious about the drywall patch- I put a new thermostat in and I raised it up a bit.

Last edited:
The clay liner is 8" OD and there have to be 2 liners in it, one for the WH and one for the wood stove from what I have learned here. There isn’t enough room for them so for now I’ll just leave the WH hoooked up to the chimney. We have soft water up here and water heaters can last a long time if I want to just go with the way it is it could be there a long time. Especially if I put a new annode rod in the water heater.

Is that stove the one with no air control?

I don’t know. I’m going to make the 70 mile trip to Menards in a bit here to get some other things and I’ll see if they have one of the stoves on display.
Now that I look at the enlarged photo it seems to have an air control lever after all. I was thinking of a different stove. Hope it works well for you!

Now that I look at the enlarged photo it seems to have an air control lever after all. I was thinking of a different stove. Hope it works well for you!
Yes there is a air control above the door and I am not getting the stove for the basement on account of chimney problems.