Gonna have one last winter with no stove or insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbar2311

Mar 16, 2010
SE Michigan
Kinda bumming but it is what it is. Not enough cash to make it happen so gonna sit out one more heating season. I'll keep cutting and splitting wood. By next year I'll have 3 years supply ready when I install an insert.

Too bad you are so far away. You are up to your ass in wood and I am up to mine in wood stoves. Heck if you were closer I would loan you one for a winter. Like I just loaned a neighbor an air conditioner when his heat pump crapped out.

Too bad, hopefully they extend the fed tax credit next year.

Clarkbar2311 said:
Kinda bumming but it is what it is. Not enough cash to make it happen so gonna sit out one more heating season. I'll keep cutting and splitting wood. By next year I'll have 3 years supply ready when I install an insert.

Everyone's financial situation is different and I can relate as I put a lot of time and effort to reduce my costs when purchasing my stoves. Are you hoping to buy a new stove and can't afford it, or is a few hundred for a used stove on CraigList too much for the budget? I ask as you can get a fairly inexpensive stove in good shape for about $400 (sometimes less, sometimes more). If you can install it yourself it would only be a bit more. If your chimney is in good shape you could probably get away without a liner, I suppose.

I feel your pain. I've got 12 cords of wood ready to go for a stove that is still sitting in somebody's show room.

wendell said:
I feel your pain. I've got 12 cords of wood ready to go for a stove that is still sitting in somebody's show room.

Did you ever decide what you want?

Not yet. It is down to an Oslo or a T6 or Summit. I love the look of the Oslo, the convection of the PE stoves and the price on the Summit. But, first, gotta find the cash.

wendell said:
Not yet. It is down to an Oslo or a T6 or Summit. I love the look of the Oslo, the convection of the PE stoves and the price on the Summit. But, first, gotta find the cash.

That's right. Your wife's dental work bit you in the ass. Hmm. I know you could find an Oslo on CraigsList. The T6 and Summet, not usually.

But the Oslo has to be in blue black enamel. ;-)

The stoves are in place but four grand for the wife's dental work this year makes me feel your pain. In fact it it wasn't for them I don't know how I would have made that dentist's Volvo payment.

You got away with with a Volvo? My wife's dentist drives a Benz.

Lamborghini here, really, no kidding.

BeGreen said:
Lamborghini here, really, no kidding.

Those teeth better shine.

I have to be careful not to blind people with my smile when it's sunny. Fortunately that is not too often.

Thanks guys. I ended up needing to replace my ancient furnace and air conditioner to the tune of $8k+ late last year. That took a huge chunk of my available funds. I was hoping to have enough saved up to purchase an insert by this fall but it's not in the cards. I'll be able to once I get my next tax return. Part of the on hold is the fact that I need to do some hearth work to make it look decent. Idiot old owners built builtins and painted large sections of brick. I'll probably spend all winter installing some new stone veneer to the brickwork and getting it ready for an insert. I already received the tax credit for the furnace so that's not even available to me. This is one of those projects where I'm not doing it until I can buy with cash exactly what I want. Should have bought the splitter next year instead of this year. Like I said though I'll have plenty of seasoned fuel by the time I actually get an insert.

BrotherBart said:
Too bad you are so far away. You are up to your ass in wood and I am up to mine in wood stoves. Heck if you were closer I would loan you one for a winter. Like I just loaned a neighbor an air conditioner when his heat pump crapped out.

Thanks for thinking of me. If I were closer I would take you up on it.

Clarkbar2311 said:
BrotherBart said:

Thanks for thinking of me. If I were closer I would take you up on it.

If SW Ohio isn't too far for you then I have a non epa that you can have.

Rocky,

Thank you very much for the offer. I think however I am going to wait one more season. I have to hearthmount a stove or install an insert. I think I only want to do it once I make the changes to the hearth and surround.

Jim

Jim, at least you have your head on straight. When it is ready you will have some great fuel; keep cutting. Good luck on the project.

BrotherBart said:
The stoves are in place but four grand for the wife's dental work this year makes me feel your pain. In fact it it wasn't for them I don't know how I would have made that dentist's Volvo payment.

I'll take one of the Jotuls off your hands. Seriously. The F3 would be nice to have in the kitchen instead of the Intrepid.

I too, feel your pain. 2+ cords split and seasoning, 2 other trees waiting for me and a open fireplace waiting for an insert. The wife is the one holding us back. To her, its alot of money, but I am wearing on her. However, she doesn't want to think about it when it is 95 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.