Good Deals On Used Saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin C.

Sep 24, 2014
Maine
I am in the market for my first chain saw. For the most part it will just be used for cutting my own firewood. I don't really have a set budget, just looking for a good deal. Here are a couple that I have found so far that I thought sounded like good buys. What do you guys think?

http://www.unclehenrys.com/classified/4372521/classified?back=/search/all?sr=17396433#4372521

http://www.unclehenrys.com/classified/4379046/classified?back=/search/all?sr=17396433#4379046

I am leaning towards the MS 250, but I wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks for any input!

If it doesn't have undisclosed problems, that's a great price on the 250. The 41 is nowhere near as good a deal.

I would say your budget is around $100 given the links you've posted. I agree with Jon that the MS250 is the best deal. Can you give us a better understanding of what you typically cut?

I'd buy them both.

Hey thanks for the replies guys. As far as the budget, yea I guess I was starting at the roughly $100 range, but it was really more of a starting point. If I need to go higher I will, just looking for a good saw at a good deal. As far as what I will be cutting with it: some minor clearing, mostly small (1" ish) fir and pine. A couple of maples to take down (8" maybe?). I'll be cutting up the maple into firewood. After that it will probably just be a firewood saw.

I was gonna get the 250 but I am having a hard time getting ahold of the guy. If I can get in touch with him I will likely buy the 250. If not, what are your thoughts on the 41? Pretty old if I understand right. I'm thinking I want something newer so I may keep looking.

41 is a good saw. I don't know how old the 250 is, but both of those saws could be 20 years old at this point. both saws have pretty good anti-vibe and both saws have chain brakes. I know people are saying the 41's price is high, but it would be that around here, and even if you are making a mistake, it would be a 15 dollar mistake. Both saws are easy to work on and easy to find parts on.

Just saw that the 250 is 2 years old. The 41, according to acresinternet was 1991-1997...

The 41 is a good saw for what you are describing but if you get into larger logs later on you may wish you had gone with a bigger saw.

I think they are both worth it. The Stihl is an excellent buy in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.