Good Karma? Neighbor wants to buy some wood..what would you do? Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you - nice to be able to help a neighbor. This is a pretty interesting thread, since most of the comments aren't about the neighbor, but about the right thing to do as you all see it. Pretty inspiring - think I'll go home and take some wood over to my neighbors now. Well, if I had any neighbors I would. But y'all in this area are welcome to come by.

Ok, this IS a great thread. Just to add some humor, here is what my grandson has to say about his Papa's wood pile. OK, now the truth....He found a hollow acorn, put it on his thumb and said "hey look Papa". But if you were driving by you might think he was jestering to stay away from Papa's wood pile..... :)

Attachments

• IMG_20100925_145706.jpg
    IMG_20100925_145706.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 230
Singed Eyebrows said:
Does being a good neighbor mean that you need to buy off your other neighbor? If giving away your CSS firewood makes you feel good by all means do it. Its one thing to help a friend with a free armload of wood in my opinion & another to give him truckloads of wood. They know where to buy home heating oil & they know where to buy firewood. What if a neighbor comes over & says I'd like to siphen some of your home heating oil out? If a neighbor needed free help all day with a project I'd gladly do it, I'm not giving him my damned firewood though, Randy

Randy, a lot of folks give to worthy causes and tithe at their church. Please tell me if helping a needy neighbor would possibly fall into this category. For instance, rather than me giving to the United Way, would it not be better to see exactly where my given dollars are going? I prefer it that way. What about the family who lost their home? Is it wrong that we gave to them rather than the United Way?

While it is true that Dave's neighbor was probably not in desperate need, we do not know that for sure. Perhaps he really is in need. No matter though because Dave got a great chance to be a good neighbor. He gets paid back. He actually has been paid with the neighbor helping him already. We get the same thing around here. We usually have extra fruit and vegetables which we gladly share with neighbors. One from last year came to pick raspberries and it was their first time. After picking they really wanted to leave some of the picked fruit for us, but we did not need it and that is one reason we asked them to come to pick. Will we ever be paid for those berries? We already have. Many years ago when I was a young lad, this guys father and I were very good friends....and he helped me. That was enough for me and when I learned they did not have raspberries but was looking, I called. Did it hurt me? Could I have used the dollars? After all, those things were selling for $4.00 per quart and they took many quarts. No, it did not hurt; we had all we could use. The dollars always come in handy. Friendship some times is much more important than dollars.

Backwoods Savage said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Does being a good neighbor mean that you need to buy off your other neighbor? If giving away your CSS firewood makes you feel good by all means do it. Its one thing to help a friend with a free armload of wood in my opinion & another to give him truckloads of wood. They know where to buy home heating oil & they know where to buy firewood. What if a neighbor comes over & says I'd like to siphen some of your home heating oil out? If a neighbor needed free help all day with a project I'd gladly do it, I'm not giving him my damned firewood though, Randy

Randy, a lot of folks give to worthy causes and tithe at their church. Please tell me if helping a needy neighbor would possibly fall into this category. For instance, rather than me giving to the United Way, would it not be better to see exactly where my given dollars are going? I prefer it that way. What about the family who lost their home? Is it wrong that we gave to them rather than the United Way?

While it is true that Dave's neighbor was probably not in desperate need, we do not know that for sure. Perhaps he really is in need. No matter though because Dave got a great chance to be a good neighbor. He gets paid back. He actually has been paid with the neighbor helping him already. We get the same thing around here. We usually have extra fruit and vegetables which we gladly share with neighbors. One from last year came to pick raspberries and it was their first time. After picking they really wanted to leave some of the picked fruit for us, but we did not need it and that is one reason we asked them to come to pick. Will we ever be paid for those berries? We already have. Many years ago when I was a young lad, this guys father and I were very good friends....and he helped me. That was enough for me and when I learned they did not have raspberries but was looking, I called. Did it hurt me? Could I have used the dollars? After all, those things were selling for $4.00 per quart and they took many quarts. No, it did not hurt; we had all we could use. The dollars always come in handy. Friendship some times is much more important than dollars.
Hi Dennis, I guess thats the issue, What is needy? Is that a neighbor that just wants? If the neighbor is truly needy then I hope it came through in my posts that I would help, I was not brought up to do otherwise. The problem is I keep picturing in my mind an able bodied neighbor that knows full well the going price of seasoned wood & doesn't want to pay it. So he goes to his neighbor so he can "buy" some wood from him, wanting a "neighborly" price. This is all so confusing that I'm going to rest, besides, I don't want to argue with a nice guy sitting on a milk crate, Randy

tfdchief said:
Ok, this IS a great thread. Just to add some humor, here is what my grandson has to say about his Papa's wood pile. OK, now the truth....He found a hollow acorn, put it on his thumb and said "hey look Papa". But if you were driving by you might think he was jestering to stay away from Papa's wood pile..... :)

HehHeh . . . I still love this photo . . . and what it looks like your grandson is doing. :)

firefighterjake said:
tfdchief said:

HehHeh . . . I still love this photo . . . and what it looks like your grandson is doing. :)
Pretty funny huh? He is my buddy! Hey jake, check one of my recent posts https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63488/. I am looking for some more input. Thanks, Steve

Well, spring is here and I have all the wood cut split and stacked for both 2011-12 and 2012-13..woohoo.
Neighbor I gave the wood to last year came over today and asked if I wanted his Ariens Garden tractor...its about 8 years old, and looks like its brand new. (He bought a new Husquvarna last year, and needs room in his shed)
I think its a 15-16 horse, and has a double bagger on the back.
He said it needs a new drive belt, a battery, and the blades should either be sharpended or replaced...says they get out of balance? Basically, looks like with $100 should get it going well.
So, he said whenever I want it to come over and we can put it in his garage and he will show me how to change the belt, and go over all the other stuff. Going to be nice not having to use the push mower on my yard now...have a little over an acre with 3/4's of it being yard.
Funny thing is my shed doors are only 42" wide, and I measued the deck and it looks to be 43" lol...looks like I am doing some framing for some larger doors.
Good neighbors are sure nice to have!

good for you Dave :) very nice of the fella to do that for you guys...GREAT KARMA!!! ;-)

that mower over here would be worth 3 cords easy..

loon

Dave, once again doing good with your neighbor is going to pan out great. I like neighbors helping neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.