Good New's the Black Locust rounds are dry !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
Something you never have enough of Firewood & Good News.

I finally got around to splitting black locust rounds today that where sitting for 2 or 3 years to my surprise the splits where nice and dry around 15% on average. I know - I know I should always split as soon as possible but I have just been to busy hiking with my bird dogs these days. Now that we are in shutdown mode I have more time.

I still have one concern though to much black locust. As most of you know BL is not a good wood to start a fire with so I still have some firewood hunting to do. One option is eastern red ceder, I have access to many uprooted trees. They could be good for getting the BL started next winter.

So that's my Good News . Hope you all are well and stay healthy.

P4040624.JPGP4040620.JPGP4040622.JPGP3280597.JPG

Reactions: JimBear
I have some BL rounds that have been sitting about five years..I guess they will be dry? ==c
Yeah, get some of the Red Cedar, that will start the BL.

Reactions: Lakeside
I've always thought that BL burning kind of smelled like burning coal.
The farmers in Appalachia used to plant it in fallow fields needing nitrogen. Its a legume - a nitrogen fixer.
I've cut some on our property, leaving a stump I could push over with my tractor. Trouble is, the stump from trees cut 5 years ago seems as tough as the day I felled the tree.

Reactions: Lakeside