Got a battle wound today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yowsers . . . an inch or two closer up and it looks like you would no longer have a Piggy to go to the market . . . or run all the way home.

Yeah I had just sharpened it a couple splits before. You can put a razor's edge on that thing, I guess that's why I didn't even notice it happened. I've been complaining about these junk Redwing boots since about a month after I got them so my wife says I just did it to get a new pair.

There are three stitches on the inside to hold it together and ten on the outside. It's healing up real nice which is a good thing because I've got quite a bit more to split.

I've got some pre-stitch pics that are quite a bit more graphic if anyone's interested in seeing them...!!!

Only one good splitter ouch moment so far - was splitting a piece of red maple, the wedge opened the wood, but when I grabbed the wood my thumb was in the opened area and I needed to retract the piston - opening closed on my thumb at the worst high pressure pinch point. Thumb took a slow ride with the splitter as I had to return the wedge to reopen the split and get my thumb out. Lost the thumb nail and was pretty darn painful. Cheers!

Only one good splitter ouch moment so far - was splitting a piece of red maple, the wedge opened the wood, but when I grabbed the wood my thumb was in the opened area and I needed to retract the piston - opening closed on my thumb at the worst high pressure pinch point. Thumb took a slow ride with the splitter as I had to return the wedge to reopen the split and get my thumb out. Lost the thumb nail and was pretty darn painful. Cheers!

I've done that a couple times, but luckily, never as severely! Sure can be scary for a few seconds, when a split starts closing up on you like that.

Doggone heavy thread. Kinda expect more injuries in the chainsaw threads but it seems there's more general aggro from the wood splitting end of the business than I'd ever have guessed.

My Splits usually seem to fly sideways, often spectacularly, never expected them to do much else when "split."

...but, yes, that axe can deflect in a nanosecond. And that is scary. FOund that out the first time I missed the round and the chopping block. Glad I had them feet spread, but still it was too close for comfort.

I guess we're in the minority of nutters messing with wood, while the sane folk stick with oil and gas and whatnot?

Can't be too cautious I guess.

ouch. Did you sharpen it more than how it came?

My 17yo and I were splitting today with my log splitter. He was on the far side loading and I was running the control side. We were throwing everything on a pile behind me and had a good rhythm going. We work well together.

Unfortunately I bent over to pick up a split just as he was tossing a split on the pile behind me. His piece hit me flat on the side of the face, behind the eye but in front of the ear. I got my clock rung and mild brush burn on the face but it could have been a lot worse.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Glad to hear your foot will be OK. I wear steel toes too but I guess they won't make me invincible against the 27. Your post is a good reminder for me, thanks.

When I first got my splitter (its vertical only) I sat on milk crate (thanks Dennis) and had rounds off to the side, I ended up sitting on the side of the splitter so I could grab the rounds, that's when I found out maple flies when split.

They did a nice job on that repair. (I'm a foot surgeon so I've seen and done a lot of them. Sewed up everything that came into the ER from head to toe when I did my ER rotation during residency 20 years ago.)

It is cool to know there are doctors on this forum. Very cool.

Any famous people on here? Just kidding, but seriously;).

It is cool to know there are doctors on this forum. Very cool.

Any famous people on here? Just kidding, but seriously;).
yes. We have a former Professional Wrestler. I'm always impressed with the crowd here. Great mix of people.

You were a Profesional wrestler?;)

Yeah. I wish, dude. I do wrestle with my boys (5 and 18 months) and as far as they're concerned I'm the strongest man in the world. So, I have that going for me.

Reactions: Ashful and BrianK
They did a nice job on that repair. (I'm a foot surgeon so I've seen and done a lot of them. Sewed up everything that came into the ER from head to toe when I did my ER rotation during residency 20 years ago.)

Yeah the doctor that sewed me up seemed to be pretty well practiced and is a real character, super nice guy. We made light of it being the end of my "foot modeling carrier". I get to wake up tomorrow and head to my primary care doctor so he can crack a few jokes at me while he takes out the stitches.

Hope your head's feeling better today.

Glad to hear your foot will be OK. I wear steel toes too but I guess they won't make me invincible against the 27. Your post is a good reminder for me, thanks.
Thanks, yeah, I still can't believe how easily it went through the side of my boot. I really haven't liked these boots since shortly after I purchased them and don't plan on buying another pair of Redwings.

Status
Not open for further replies.