Got a big thumbs up while coming home today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firewood Bandit

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2014
Western WIsconsin
I was coming back from cutting today and was hauling a pretty good load. A pick up truck was hanging in the lane next to me just off my trailer for about a mile without passing. Eventually he passed and gave me a big thumbs up. Apparently he was looking at the truck & trailer.

2431bmr.jpg

25gxmdf.jpg

2dspuep.jpg

Heck, I'm giving a thumbs up right now.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Nice load. Whats a load like that measure out to? Looks like a cord or more:eek:. 1 cord of ash is all my 1/2 ton and trailer like to carry. My tires would be hollerin for momma with a load like that. Red oak?

Nice load. Whats a load like that measure out to? Looks like a cord or more:eek:. 1 cord of ash is all my 1/2 ton and trailer like to carry. My tires would be hollerin for momma with a load like that. Red oak?

The load is red & white oak.

I had the trailer custom made for HEAVY hauling. It's 83" x 18'. Upgraded to twin 5200# axels both with electric brakes, cross members on 12" centers vs 24", dovetail rear end with spit HD tailgate w/knee bracing and spring assist (rated for 7000# machine)

Routinely the truck will hold a half cord of rounds. I was kind of a pansy last night and didn't get it all unloaded out of the trailer. I am guessing a good 1.5 cord on the trailer so about 2 full cord total.

Heck of a nice rig FB! Wife says I can buy another SD when the kids are done college... haha. Is it a 6.7 or gasser?

Heck of a nice rig FB! Wife says I can buy another SD when the kids are done college... haha. Is it a 6.7 or gasser?

I looked a long time to find a good used F250 Super Duty with 8' box from a salt free state. I only use this for hauling or pulling a trailer, so MPG is not much of a factor driving 3,000 miles/year. It's a 6.2 gasser with 4.30 gears. Got this one in Jan. with 50,400 miles on the clock.

I had an 04 with 6.0 CC diesel that ran great, until it didn’t. Traded on a ‘10 SCrew 5.4, just sold to my brother with 43k so we could buy our son a reliable ( ‘14 Escape Titanium ) car to take 400 miles to school, saves us driving 13+ hours. I hear good things about the 6.2 but I think they stopped making it? I have 3 years before I can buy anything, and it will be used

Now days with the Tier 4 emission standards the EPA has destroyed any reason to buy a diesel. IMHO, diesels are way to risky. Have a problem and it is a matter of how many thousand dollars to fix rather than how many hundred for a gas motor.

Unreal how modern diesels are no longer economical, reliable and bulletproof. Modern gas motors are more reliable thanks to the Govt. destroying diesels.

Actually, I can't agree that the emissions are what killed diesels though they hastened their demise. They have been a financial drag as long as they have been around. I just unloaded a non emissions 06 Dodge with 159k that ate 4 thousand dollar bills regularly. Between me and my brothers we've owned a bunch of them. Now the new ones eat ten thousand dollar bills so they are just worse than the old ones but they are all awful. Anybody who says otherwise is lucky or lying.

The guy I sold mine to has a 1500 chevy with a 5.3 that he's used to haul a 16' enclosed trailer for years. It has well over 500k hard miles on the clock and has never had the valve covers off. No way will the Dodge I sold him go that many miles but it's common to see 5.3 and 6.0 gm trucks in the 350k+ range.

You're right though, diesel trucks are for the birds.

Unless it's a Duramax :cool:
Hey now lol, I'm running a 11 durmax that only had to go to the shop every 10k miles lol, I hit the 100k and that check engine light came back on, I just waiting for the bulb in the dash to burn out then I'm good again. Its actually a shame how much restriction these motor have, its like keeping a lion in a small cage.
On a good note though, I live in Jersey (nanny state) and with all the salt they put down on the road my under carriage is holding up real well, hardly no truck cancer in my 6 years on owner ship, then again a total of 1 year was the truck sitting in the shop getting the emissions worked on.

I've got about 25k miles on my '16 Duramax, so far so good. The 07 I had with 200k miles on it ran fine, but the body had some issues and the engine light was constantly on for emissions bs just as you said. Still, sold it for 13k. No complaints there.

Actually, I can't agree that the emissions are what killed diesels though they hastened their demise. They have been a financial drag as long as they have been around. I just unloaded a non emissions 06 Dodge with 159k that ate 4 thousand dollar bills regularly. Between me and my brothers we've owned a bunch of them. Now the new ones eat ten thousand dollar bills so they are just worse than the old ones but they are all awful. Anybody who says otherwise is lucky or lying.

The guy I sold mine to has a 1500 chevy with a 5.3 that he's used to haul a 16' enclosed trailer for years. It has well over 500k hard miles on the clock and has never had the valve covers off. No way will the Dodge I sold him go that many miles but it's common to see 5.3 and 6.0 gm trucks in the 350k+ range.

You're right though, diesel trucks are for the birds.

I would be hard to justify buying a motor that has the high potential of having the large maintenance bills you mentioned.:eek:

Reactions: KC Matt
That's odd. I have spent hardly any in my 93 Cummins. I guess they don't build them like they used too.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Pretty much it has to do with what you need your truck for. If you're pulling a 5th wheel camper across the country then a diesel truck is the way to do it. In my case, I don't have a choice in my company truck, but it's my primary vehicle so I'm not complaining.

Hauling a 40' 5th wheel across the country is exactly what I did with mine after I quit hauling a 43 yard dump trailer across the country.

I recall fondly the time I got a bad tank of fuel in Iowa and had to replace the injectors. That was $2,400 with me doing the labor and buying the injectors online vs 4500 hiring the job out. At that time I added a FASS ($750 plus a days labor) to avoid a repeat. Luckily it didn't wipe out the CP3 and cost another $2k in parts. One of my brothers had a bad batch of fuel kill his entire fuel system on his 2006 Dodge, a 10k bill at the dealership. Then the time my buddy spent $4,500 fixing the fuel system after some poophead stuffed a blue paper towel in a fuel nozzle (BE SURE TO LOOK!) I could write a book.

Sorry to take this off the rails, OP. You made the right purchase in your truck.

If buying used look at first half 07 dodge cummins before all the emissions. I have a 96 with over 378k on her and a 05 with 82k. The 12 valves are bullet proof, just a lot harder to find today. The 24 valve is a lot better with power and torque better improvements just more electronic parts. Dodge might not be the greatest but there older diesels were built to last.

Truck barely fits in the garage which is 30 x 40'

2gw9ulj.jpg

1zv7r5f.jpg

I drive a LOT off road

25asq4m.jpg

What a great setup!

So 2 cords of green wood can exceed 10,000 lbs, but I guess that's well within the towing capacity of an F250.

How's it handle with all that weight back there?

What a great setup!

So 2 cords of green wood can exceed 10,000 lbs, but I guess that's well within the towing capacity of an F250.

How's it handle with all that weight back there?

The truck/trailer drive fine and doesn't have the "floaty" overweight sensation, stopping is not much different than when the truck is empty. But this is within the legal limits of the trailer and truck. My half ton Suburban when I loaded wood in it and pulled the 6 x 10' trailer that was overweight did not feel good and stopping was something you had to plan in advance.

Being a gasser when I came home with this load the spot I pull onto the 55MPH highway is at the bottom of a pretty good hill. Getting momentum up to highway speed does take a while but I was only on the throttle so shifts were 3,500-4,000 RPM. I guess these overhead cam motors are made for more revs than that. Just something I am not used to seeing always having push rod V8s.

Reactions: KC Matt
Love the setup great looking truck and trailer!