Got Burned by a Contractor: Best way to make a damper cover for the chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Tree Guy

Nov 27, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
Well let me first say hello and how is everyone.

My name is Eddie from Mass, and I got hosed on an insert liner about a month ago.....

The Contractor did what he said he was going to do, and me being a poor researcher didn't look into proper heat deflection.

The stove is hooked up to the 6" insert liner which is located inside the chimney itself...

The issue is that heat escapes through a very very large area above the stove going straight out to the top of the chimney

Not sure if I am explaining this right...I took a few pictures

A picture from dead on
IMG_0229.jpg

Inside the hearth where I stuffed some sheet metal and aluminum to block some of the heat loss

IMG_0228.jpg

What I am thinking is that I need to create an airtight seal with maybe some kind of fire resistant caulk....

Any help is welcome..

signed

lost

Awsome link!

That is just what I need!!!!!

Can you believe the contractor forgot to mention that part of the installation!

Next question is how can I get the liner stable enough to take the stove out and begin the installation....

Thanks for the quick response...

ED

If the liner was installed with a proper top plate up top then you disconnect the liner at the flue collar on the stove, go up and loosen the clamp or remove the screw attaching theliner to the top plate and then secure the liner while you go down and pull out the stove. Reverse the process to reattach the liner after the block off plate is installed.

I gota say,this is interesting.

You know there is always a block off plate on a insert I assume.
But what you did is interesting.
A good heavy steel plate at the bottom of the opening going around the flue might even be better then a block off plate around the stove itself.
Less heat going up the chimney?
More heat into the room from the back of the stove?
I'm sure I must be off base or people would be doing it.

Btw..looks like that stove is way deep into the opening..does it have to be that far in?

Status
Not open for further replies.