Got 'er done!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
All done 'til next fall.

Yup, I know... boxelder is kind of crappy firewood but it has been said 'burn it if you got it'. I've got it; butt loads of it. My woodlot management plan is to get rid of this stuff first so the good stuff has more room to grow.

That twisted junk is sort of a pain to stack so that it remains standing until needed... a bit like assembling a puzzle.

The load on the trailer was mostly dry on the vine; that's going directly into the basement now so I won't have to stack it and unstack it later.

boxelder.jpg

Well done! That's an impressive wall of wood.

Reactions: thisoldgoat
Used to burn a lot of boxelder back in Ontario. As you say, not the best to burn but hey it works so use it. It dries quickly so that is a benefit. That is a lot of wood and nice stacking!

All done 'til next fall.

Yup, I know... boxelder is kind of crappy firewood but it has been said 'burn it if you got it'. I've got it; butt loads of it. My woodlot management plan is to get rid of this stuff first so the good stuff has more room to grow.

That twisted junk is sort of a pain to stack so that it remains standing until needed... a bit like assembling a puzzle.

The load on the trailer was mostly dry on the vine; that's going directly into the basement now so I won't have to stack it and unstack it later.

View attachment 312540
I love it..

I burned a lot of boxelder this past winter from a powerline takedown, and I will not be getting or burning any more. It produced 3 or 4 times as much ash as any other wood I have burned. I have a big bellied Blaze King and I was taking a large bucket of ash out every day, which is a big pain in the middle of the winter when you are doing continuous hot loads.

I had the same problem this winter while burning coast live oak. It burns a long time and makes good coals but there's a lot of ash compared to other hardwood species I have here. I'm still going to burn it as thats how I get rid of excess wood but I'll try to mix it in with other species.

oops... I can plainly see now that I posted my original message using bold type. That was purely unintentional and I apologize.

The load on the trailer was mostly dry on the vine
Once in a while, Boxelder or Tulip Poplar is in the way so I'll go ahead and grab some. It's alright when I just need a chill-buster fire...which was the case more than usual this past winter.
Any wet wood in that stack, won't be wet for long I wouldn't think. I believe I heard about that place in a song-- "Minnnnnnn-asota, where the wind comes sweepin' up the plain!" 🌬️🌪️😮‍💨
Don't even be thinkin' it's time to sit down yet; You've still got that stack of logs on the hill to do yet! Oh, wait, I guess I saw that wrong.. 😉🤓
What's the stuff with the light-colored sapwood ring...I don't think that's Boxelder, is it?

Last edited:
What's the stuff with the light-colored sapwood ring...I don't think that's Boxelder, is it?
The whole row is boxelder except for a pallet and a half (partially hidden by trailer) of silver maple. The top 1/4 pallet on the far right is a bit of black walnut and hackberry.

boxelder is kind of crappy firewood
Nah, I find it to be fine for all but maybe January and February.
That twisted junk is sort of a pain to stack
That's true. Your stacks are amazingly straight n true considering what you are working with!

I don't find it to be that much more ashy than many other woods...a lil maybe, but I can still go almost a week before emtying my ash pan in the Kuuma whole house furnace, which doesn't have a huge ash pan for a furnace...it holds maybe 2 gallons worth of ashes.
My woodlot management plan is to get rid of this stuff first so the good stuff has more room to grow.
Boxelder will pop right back up before anything else can take hold...really hafta stay on top of it to keep 'em knocked down!

Last edited:
The ashiness (don't want to know what my phone wanted to autocorrect this to...) may depend on the burn rate as well.