Got my Fiskars today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PJF1313 said:
Kenster said:
If I split and sell two loads of wood with it, then it's paid for and after that I can throw it away and not be out much if I don't like it.

When you get ready to throw it away. I've got first call and will happily pay the shipping cost to Texas!

Dang!!! Well I guess I'll take the sloppy seconds ;-)

If they're as good as the "original" series, I won't be needing one any time soon....

Quads - If ya any good at sharpening knifes, the Fiskars should be second nature to ya. If not, like me :sick: , get the $7 sharpener also. Besides putting a nice edge on the Fiskars, it did a dang well job on the machete with all its dings!!

PJ, can you direct me to the $7 sharpener?

If I remember correctly, it was an Amazon dealer. But it wasn't in the "Home and Garden" section.

This was about a year, or so, ago. But I do remember buying it on the "off" season.

It's $9.99 at Amazon now,with free shipping if your total order is $25 or more.

quads said:
...Don't know how long it will last, the way I split, being pounded into the dirt day after day...

Not long. If that's the way you're going to treat it, don't bother getting one. Rick

PJ, can you direct me to the $7 sharpener?

Lots on eBay. With shipping the cheapest is about $13.50.

Buy the sharpener with the X27/combo its $9.99. Or it was a few weeks ago. Free shipping too.

quads said:
after that I can throw it away and not be out much if I don't like it.
You won't throw it away. It's got its place in a well-stocked battery of splitting tools.

fossil said:
quads said:
...Don't know how long it will last, the way I split, being pounded into the dirt day after day...

Not long. If that's the way you're going to treat it, don't bother getting one. Rick
I don't go through the extra steps required to pick up rounds and haul them to the house. They get split in the woods where I cut the tree down. So you could be right, it won't work nearly as good as the old maul has in my case. I might still get one though, just because, if I ever see one around. None listed at Walmart.com and I have never noticed one in a Walmart store around here. Faskars web site says Mcfarlane's in Sauk City is a dealer for them, maybe next time I get down there I'll stop in and see what they got.

PJF1313 said:
If I remember correctly, it was an Amazon dealer. But it wasn't in the "Home and Garden" section.

This was about a year, or so, ago. But I do remember buying it on the "off" season.

thank you sir, found it

quads said:
fossil said:
quads said:

I don't go through the extra steps required to pick up rounds and haul them to the house. They get split in the woods where I cut the tree down. So you could be right, it won't work nearly as good as the old maul has in my case. I might still get one though, just because, if I ever see one around. None listed at Walmart.com and I have never noticed one in a Walmart store around here. Faskars web site says Mcfarlane's in Sauk City is a dealer for them, maybe next time I get down there I'll stop in and see what they got.

Most Ace Hardwares sell them

Welllll..... Tried out the X25 today for the first time. On some dead 12"-14" White Oak rounds that I cut last December 2010. These were cut my standard length -15-17",straight with no visible knots. Now White/Bur Oak is pretty tough & stringy most of the time,compared to Red/Black Oak of same diameter & description. The X25 didnt bounce off,but it did get stuck quite a few times in that stringy stuff.Finally a couple them opened up after 8-10 good hits.Had to separate a few pieces with cutting them free,none broke free in 1 strike.Also tried it on some green (4 weeks old) Shagbark Hickory rounds 8-12" diameter the same lengths as the WO.

Easy as pie on that stuff,even faster than my old Plumb 5lb double bit.All in all its a nice addition to my arsenal,but it wont replace the old 18lb Sotz Monster Maul on White Oak or anything else stringy,knotty or larger size.Will try it out on about 3 cords of dead straight grain Red/Black Oak next,should be a breeze on that stuff.

I always find oak to be much easier to split when its wet. Slightly frozen it "pops" open and I have to get out of the way sometimes.

Absolutely.I normally do about 75% of my splitting during the coldest months,even at just 32 degrees vs 40 or above can make a big difference in certain species.Just got sidetracked with other things for a few weeks & forgot about these rounds.

ooops, I`ve heard so many good things about Fiskars and yesterday I purchased a 28inch Fiskar pro chopping axe but not a X25 so what`s the difference? I`m thinking smaller head?

yes it has a smaller head and might be half the weight but it still works. I have had the same one for a month now and ran across the x25 in walmart so i picked it up...

Both work CRAZY good it's just the X25 has a little more OOOMMPH to it...

yeah thanks I think I`ll do the same and carry both and use the bigger one for the stubborn pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.