Got the jotul firelight inside on the hearth, couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
Ok, got that bad boy in, man that thing is heavy, luckily we had 4 of us to do it, could have done it with less people I guess but we'd be hurtin tomorrow. So a couple questions for you guys.

1 My air control lever when it's all the way open leaves two pieces of shell still showing and when all the way closed leaves one showing, is that normal?

2 My side ash lip will not go on, the bolt hole is gonna need to be oblonged even more to make it. Anyone else see this? I'm less than amused with a 2100 dollar price tag on fit and finish items like that.

Thanks guys,
Ed

Ok 3 questions.

Last question, what is the thin piece of metal that they give you inside the firebox with the other stuff for? Looks almost like a thin heatshield but isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual.

1. Yes, exactly. And if you really want to be retentive, there are 8 sections from left to right. I open wide open right initially after loads/reloads, then cut back between 2 and 4 left for burns. Seems to be about a 50-75 degree swing with each section (I warned you I could be retentive!), starting at 250 far left (1) where I will not run it. Haven't had need for heat/desire to eat wood to run it past 4.

2. That stinks. Keep wiggling? I can relate on the buyers remorse as I think we both agreed always tough to swallow a new purchase, and I have the leak with mine. All things considered though, probably minor issues in the big picture, kind of like getting a new car that the tires are out of alignment or something. You're gonna love the hot temps and long burn times - will make your worries go away!

3. I don't recall any metal piece - you've got the ash lips, the exhaust hood thingy to mount on the back (where pipe hooks up), the gasket for the thingy...I don't remember anything else, although I had the mysterious allen wrench in my bag of goodies that I couldn't figure a use for.

Foreign directions kind of crack me up: seems like Asian directions are too complicated, ie 6 steps and 4 diagrams to put in and tighten one screw. Seems like the Scandinavian directions go the other way, with 4 steps and one diagram to build a thermonuclear bomb - they assume you'll figure out the rest...

Hey Congrats,

1. The air lever doesn't go all the way left or right on mine either.

2. My side ash pan doesn't have any bolts at all, it just slips on.

3. The thin metal sheet is a heat shield. Look under your stove, under the ash pan holder and you will find two bolts that will hold the heat shield on.

Have fun breakin' that bad boy in!

Thanks guys!!! I feel so much better already, the biggest one was the air control lever that had me worried. And I appreciate the tips on the air control, I can also be retentive, I like precision. Got it hooked up to my old chimney for now, 14' tall 7x7 ID masonry chimney that doesn't meet the 10/2 rule. So I'm basically gonna break it in with that and then move on to the "real chimney" which will either be a liner with extension piece, only the extension piece or a whole new class A. Decisions decisions....

Status
Not open for further replies.