Looking for advice on hearth pad dimensions and clearance to combustibles (Hearthstone Manchester)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WhatDayJob

Dec 14, 2021
Colorado
My post in the Hearthstone-specific forum didn't get any responses, so I'm casting a wider net. If this repost breaks forum rules, let me know and I'll delete it.

I'm putting in some tiling that will act as the hearth pad for a new Hearthstone Manchester install next month. I want to make sure I've got the minimum dimensions and minimum clearance to combustibles right for when I lay the tile. The installer will be putting the stove and piping in.

Link to the install/owner's manual
Page 7: stove dimensions
Page 9: Hearth pad dimensions
Page 10: Clearance to combustibles

Here's the situation:
The stove will go in a 45° corner. Not sure yet if we'll align it with a wall or put it at an angle.
We intend to tile out from the edges of the wall about six feet into the room, maybe further. There's no R-value requirement for the pad.
Planning on using double-walled pipe and the heat shield to reduce required clearances as much as possible. The pipe will be vertical out the top of the stove, not horizontal to a t-fitting

Page 9 of the manual shows the minimum size of the hearth pad with distances from the edges of the stove to the edges of the pad.
Page 10 shows clearance to combustibles. We're going with the Double-wall connector and heat shield, so the bottom line of the table is the applicable measurements.

I'm not a math guy, but even my calculations make it seems like the required dimensions don't add up. For example, the stove is ~30" front to back. On page 9 of the manual, there's a minimum of 16" left of the stove, and it looks like about 4 inches to the right, although no minimum is listed. But the hearth pad minimum is 48" wide, which is a couple inches short.

I guess my biggest concern is making sure that:

1) The stove is far enough from the walls. If I read page 10 right, it needs to be at least 6" from the back wall (B), and 16" from the right wall (A). I'm not sure how I should be measuring item E, maybe just ensuring there's at least 9" of parallel clearance if I do the stove at an angle?

2) The hearth pad extends far enough in front of the stove. I'm planning on tiling all the way to the walls, so the clearances should more than accommodate the hearth pad dimensions to the side and back of the stove. Am I correct in thinking that I need at least 16" in front of it (page 9)?

Thanks in advance. Happy to add more info or answer questions.

Also, does that stove have a side load door? If so, make sure you can comfortably get wood in the stove in a corner location.

It does, on the left side, which is one of the reasons I'm hesitating to do the 45° corner arrangement.
Maybe simulate loading 22" logs into where you plan to have it and see if that works for you. Factor in reaching well into the stove to adjust logs that fell into bad spots when you're loading on hot coals. I do love that side door on my stove.

Reactions: WhatDayJob
. On page 9 of the manual, there's a minimum of 16" left of the stove, and it looks like about 4 inches to the right, although no minimum is listed. But the hearth pad minimum is 48" wide, which is a couple inches short.

I guess my biggest concern is making sure that:

1) The stove is far enough from the walls. If I read page 10 right, it needs to be at least 6" from the back wall (B), and 16" from the right wall (A). I'm not sure how I should be measuring item E, maybe just ensuring there's at least 9" of parallel clearance if I do the stove at an angle?

2) The hearth pad extends far enough in front of the stove. I'm planning on tiling all the way to the walls, so the clearances should more than accommodate the hearth pad dimensions to the side and back of the stove. Am I correct in thinking that I need at least 16" in front of it (page 9)?

Thanks in advance. Happy to add more info or answer questions.
The US spec for minimum distance to the edge of the hearthpad on the right side is shown as 8" from "edge of fuel door opening". Yeah. confusing. Why they don't specify it from edge of center of stove, I don't know🤷‍♀️. And personally, I don't like the look of the offset pad under the stove, but to get it centered you would have to go with a much larger pad,. And yes, you need 16" clearance in front.
The E distance is measured from corner of stove to wall, attaching photos here. Our "E" distance is 10" on one side and almost 11" on the other (our stove has 8" spec and it's a "G" designation in our stove's manual). Stove installers could have aligned it a bit more balanced (but I'm being a bit OCD here), but they said needed to get the alignment/clearance of the flue/chimney between ceiling joists. I left them plenty of wiggle room all around so they could place stove as needed.

wall to corner 2.jpg wall to corner 1.jpg

Last edited:
The US spec for minimum distance to the edge of the hearthpad on the right side is shown as 8" from "edge of fuel door opening". Yeah. confusing. Why they don't specify it from edge of center of stove, I don't know🤷‍♀️. And personally, I don't like the look of the offset pad under the stove, but to get it centered you would have to go with a much larger pad,. And yes, you need 16" clearance in front.
The E distance is measured from corner of stove to wall, attaching photos here. Our "E" distance is 10" on one side and almost 11" on the other (our stove has 8" spec and it's a "G" designation in our stove's manual). Stove installers could have aligned it a bit more balanced (but I'm being a bit OCD here), but they said needed to get the alignment/clearance of the flue/chimney between ceiling joists. I left them plenty of wiggle room all around so they could place stove as needed.

View attachment 303318 View attachment 303319
Thanks for the examples. The pad layout is pretty strange, which is why we're going to go with a wider, longer pad than the minimum. I just need to make sure I have the front clearance right since it'll edge up against hardwood.

I think my big concern is making sure I have sufficient rear clearance if I line the stove up so the back is parallel to the wall, not 45°. With the heat shield and double-walled pipe, 6" is enough, which seems surprising.

Do you have the side load door on your stove? If so, how long is the door, and how far from the rear of the stove is the hinge? I'm going to build a mock-up to see how it goes.

An offset pad is common with side-loading stoves.

Thanks for the examples. The pad layout is pretty strange, which is why we're going to go with a wider, longer pad than the minimum. I just need to make sure I have the front clearance right since it'll edge up against hardwood.

I think my big concern is making sure I have sufficient rear clearance if I line the stove up so the back is parallel to the wall, not 45°. With the heat shield and double-walled pipe, 6" is enough, which seems surprising.

Do you have the side load door on your stove? If so, how long is the door, and how far from the rear of the stove is the hinge? I'm going to build a mock-up to see how it goes.
Yes, we have the side load door on the left side of the stove. Love the side load feature. The hinges are located at the bottom. The door swings down, not out (I would assume that's the set-up with the Manchester too). A corner installation installed to spec will give you the room you need to load from the side. With our corner installation, our stove could have been shoved into the corner a bit more for the 8"spec. We have a ~2" cushion on either corner. Just made sure our hearth was built out enough to accommodate the 16" clearance in front.
One note, and I'm unsure if this still holds true, but if you order a side door lock kit, factory installed, you can reduce the pad side clearances. At least that was true for the Heritage 8024 model.
Attaching photo of side door open. --the upper corner of the door has several inches of clearance to our wall.

side door opend.jpg side door opened 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WhatDayJob

The stove will go in a 45° corner. Not sure yet if we'll align it with a wall or put it at an angle.
It just dawned on me that you specified a 45* corner. I have seen houses with very unusual wall angles, but did you maybe mean 90*? If not, and if you're really talking 45*, ignore my input here, I have no clue...

Yes, we have the side load door on the left side of the stove. Love the side load feature. The hinges are located at the bottom. The door swings down, not out (I would assume that's the set-up with the Manchester too). A corner installation installed to spec will give you the room you need to load from the side. With our corner installation, our stove could have been shoved into the corner a bit more for the 8"spec. We have a ~2" cushion on either corner. Just made sure our hearth was built out enough to accommodate the 16" clearance in front.
One note, and I'm unsure if this still holds true, but if you order a side door lock kit, factory installed, you can reduce the pad side clearances. At least that was true for the Heritage 8024 model.
Attaching photo of side door open. --the upper corner of the door has several inches of clearance to our wall.

View attachment 303341 View attachment 303342
Thanks for sharing the photos. Which stove do you have?