got used security doors with glass inserts wanna do screening too

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
got a good deal on a set to go in front of the Pella French doors in our walkout basement. they wee black had someone Half butt painted them white. didn't know he didn't take off the sweep strip to paint bottom of doors. Cause Hubby turned them upside down so they open correctly for us. They came with two framed pcs of temp glass.. well Im an open window person.. Like last few days been nice and notes in high 50s or so. so Ac turned off. lots of oil air comes up thru the big windows and up the stairwell..
Unfortunately they are steel but should outlive us...
Hubby has yet to install the lockset. I have them wired together temp. we need to buy maybe flush bolts an install duh maybe wind chains and maybe door closer.
I have lots of screens I bought nw and used some will fit or be made to fit. really like to have self storing but that would take some doing...
been investigating about meshtec or Durgaurd ss screening. versus aluminum screening. we have a partial row of charcoal and bare aluminum rolls. I sent for a sample of woven ss mesh 12 mesh gauge .023.
I got the brainstorm while ago to put the insect screen on the outside. Like the big dH windows have in the basement adjacent to the French Doors.. prob frame to have a frame tack welded
will electrolysis occur between al.um or ss w/o using a rubber seal? Like there is a rubber gasket round the glass panels that came with the used set. of security doors. the panels are held in place with alum screw "clamps"
The garage service door we put up inexpensive steel mesh panel black sec doors to get air flow and keep out varmints. during the day
what y'all think anyone do such stuff? thanks all gotta hurry rains moved in

Lost trying to follow this one.. But how do you plan on opening the window since most french doors are glass from top to bottom? Also lost me on how turning the door upside down makes them open correctly all that will do is put the door locks higher.. You would be better getting one of those disappearing screen doors and installing that.

Lost trying to follow this one.. But how do you plan on opening the window since most french doors are glass from top to bottom? Also lost me on how turning the door upside down makes them open correctly all that will do is put the door locks higher.. You would be better getting one of those disappearing screen doors and installing that.
Ah... the right and left big windows are DOUBLE HUNG..... the French Doors swing in. The security doors turned upside down worked pretty good so far.They were prob made to be hung right or left handed originally. Naw the lock holes ARE STILL correct place since the top and bottom panels are same height. with the removable inner panes of glass even in the small middle section He needs to now make the cutout for the locks in the ASTRAGAL....... wish could get a new Astragal for the center
Don't want NO flimsy disappearing screen . don't want no creepy raccoons, possums etc pushing thru mesh junk .see what trying to do now????? our used doors opened lock wrong side for us. So now the handle on THE Left. security door is correct...
they looked similar
doors 32 in  9 19.jpeg
like this one Just wish we could have gotten these doors if they were available BUT these CL doors are only 32 inch wide. WE needed wider...

Ah... the right and left big windows are DOUBLE HUNG..... the French Doors swing in. The security doors turned upside down worked pretty good so far.They were prob made to be hung right or left handed originally. Naw the lock holes ARE STILL correct place since the top and bottom panels are same height. with the removable inner panes of glass even in the small middle section He needs to now make the cutout for the locks in the ASTRAGAL....... wish could get a new Astragal for the center
Don't want NO flimsy disappearing screen . don't want no creepy raccoons, possums etc pushing thru mesh junk .see what trying to do now????? our used doors opened lock wrong side for us. So now the handle on THE Left. security door is correct...
they looked similar View attachment 247448 like this one Just wish we could have gotten these doors if they were available BUT these CL doors are only 32 inch wide. WE needed wider...
well Hubby has the two door ones finished sort of and up.. He made the screens in two pc. so far four "screens" Like the glass panels. Installed them on the outside though to help protedt the glass panels when they are in use...
. he used undersill trim for the frames. the "hole" part cut off and siliconed it in each vinyl frame. Not bad looking. Looks like the screens belong there on the outside that is...
I painted white each glass panel trim well frame... that is . . so need to finish scraping the overspray off the glass To put back on the inside now that cold weather seems to be here...
Y'all be proud Guys he even got the knobs on the active door. Now to get a "flush bolt" to hold the "inactive " door in.. Some security doors I seen. have "door closures"