Gransfors Bruks Small Splitting Axe #441

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of buying the GB Small Splitting Axe for the half rounds and smaller splits. The face is 2 1/2" wide, weighs 2 lbs. and has a 24" handle. I had to call them to confirm the actual handle length as this dimension varies by up to 4" depending on which site your on at the time. Even the official GB site contridicts this dimension.

I think the length would be ideal for smaller tasks that may require one or two handed use and the 2 lb. head is beefy enough to get the job done but is not over or under kill. I have a Fiskars X25 for the bigger stuff and that works well. The X25 is comparable in head weight and length to the GB Large Splitting Axe so my bigger needs are covered.

Any thoughts? Does anybody have one of these that can provide some insight? I just discovered Grunsfors Bruks Axes while reading another thread and have developed a serious case of "I gotta have one of those" itis.

FrankMA said:
I'm thinking of buying the GB Small Splitting Axe for the half rounds and smaller splits. The face is 2 1/2" wide, weighs 2 lbs. and has a 24" handle. I had to call them to confirm the actual handle length as this dimension varies by up to 4" depending on which site your on at the time. Even the official GB site contridicts this dimension.

I think the length would be ideal for smaller tasks that may require one or two handed use and the 2 lb. head is beefy enough to get the job done but is not over or under kill. I have a Fiskars X25 for the bigger stuff and that works well. The X25 is comparable in head weight and length to the GB Large Splitting Axe so my bigger needs are covered.

Any thoughts? Does anybody have one of these that can provide some insight? I just discovered Grunsfors Bruks Axes while reading another thread and have developed a serious case of "I gotta have one of those" itis.

I have the Gransfors heavy splitting maul and I'm very happy with it. The small splitting axe is surely a top quality tool as well. I think you should get one .

I'm going to pull the trigger this week. I've been thinking this over for the past several days and can find no good reason why I should not have this finely designed and functional tool in my hands.

I have their hunting hatchet and the limbing axe. The limbing axe is small and a LOT of fun. It is surprising what it will split as I keep it super sharp. I would worry about getting stuck in a heavier/knottier round with any sort of axe.

The order has been placed...now the long wait begins!!! Actually it should be to my house in 3 - 5 days - that's not very long.

Adios Pantalones said:
Honestly- the QUALITY of GB axes is its own joy. Things of beauty. I have no experience with the model you're buying

AP: When I first went onto the Gransfors Bruks website, I knew I was going to get in trouble. I'm a sucker for really good quality, well made tools, outdoor power equipment, etc... I could tell with 100% certainty that I was going to be buying one of their axes within the first few seconds visiting the website.

trailmaker: You posted a link to the Gransfors Bruks website on another post and that's how I ended up with this obsession to have one. I had never heard of them before and am glad you posted the link (my wife might have a different opinion however...).

I think you're going to like the Gransfors. Post some pics for us if you get the chance. Remember to be careful, that axe will be RAZOR sharp on arrival. A stump with a tire on top would probably be a good setup for splitting with that axe.

It should ship today and I'll most likely get it by the end of this week (optimistic) or early next week (more likely). I'll have to figure out the picture posting so I can post of few of the new toy, err tool :). I have a couple of nice oak splitting stumps and have been thinking of the tire trick. I've used bungee cords wrapped around a bunch of rounds, half splits, etc... with good success.

It came to my house today! They shipped it out of the Brattleboro, VT store (American Traders) and it only took 2 days. I'm very impressed with the fit, finish and overall size - this is a beautiful axe. I can't wait to get out and put it through the paces to see how it performs. I've got some other chores that need to be completed before Irene makes her debut around these parts so I'm not sure when I'll get a good chance to put it to use. I'll try to get the picture posting method squared away and will post some pic's.

Have you been able to use it yet? Still waiting for pics and review.

Sorry for the slow response - been getting ready for Irene to show up. Just starting to rain here now and I got everything done just in time. I only got to play with my new axe for a few minutes but it split my oak 1/2 splits very nicely. Made a nice "crack" sound when it went through, almost seemed like a "snap" and sent the two 1/4 splits in either direction.

So far I'm very impressed and would definitely purchase another Gransfors Bruks axe - the quality is insane and it just feels good holding it in my hands. It's the kind of tool you find yourself gazing at because it's just so well made and pleasing to the eyes. I'm kind of leaning towards either the Small Forest Axe or the Scandinavian Forest Axe. I'll get to some pics once we get through this storm and things settle down.

Frank,

Keep safe and take care. Glad to hear you like your axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.