Grapple Load - Fair Pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Hello All,
I'm in New Hampshire and I'm having some tree work professionally done for the second time on my property. I have them just drop the really scary ones like these that are close to the house and garage, then I do the rest.

Anyway, since the guy was here for the second time, and saw my wood piles all over, he told me he delivers grapple loads that yield 6 to 7 cords for $800. Does that seem fair to everyone? It seems to be about right to me, as my father-in lay nearby has been getting slightly larger loads than that for $900. His seem to yield around 8 cords or so.

Don't know what a grapple load would be , around here a log load of 10 cords would yield about 6-8 css cords sometimes a little more - lot of variables so no precise #s generally about $100/log cord and possibly plus a mileage /fuel fee.

What the heck is a grapple load? Is it a whole herd of unicorn cords?

In log form I have been able to purchase Doug for logs for 100-130 per delivered cord. The cords are measured after being CSS.

These are logging waste butts delivered in a dump truck.

$100/cord off the truck all day long. 7 cord log truck, 10 cord tractor trailer, 5 cord small truck, doesn't matter. Red/white oak, maple, cherry, ash, etc.

Okay thanks everyone, it seems the price is fair

Hello All,
I'm in New Hampshire and I'm having some tree work professionally done for the second time on my property. I have them just drop the really scary ones like these that are close to the house and garage, then I do the rest.

Anyway, since the guy was here for the second time, and saw my wood piles all over, he told me he delivers grapple loads that yield 6 to 7 cords for $800. Does that seem fair to everyone? It seems to be about right to me, as my father-in lay nearby has been getting slightly larger loads than that for $900. His seem to yield around 8 cords or so.

I'm located in SW NH....that's a great deal. Of course, depends on the type of wood species dropped. Sugar Maple, Red Oak, some Hickory, etc..etc...etc. ANy idea what species would be dropped off? Heck, 7 cords for $800, I'd do it. Just remember, with a grapple load, there's a lot of work to do thereafter. More cutting, splitting, stacking, drying (Red Oak for 3 years). etc...etc...

Thanks Sully. It sounded good to me too, I just figured I'd poll the folks at this website, get the opinion of some people who know more than I do. I'm not sure of the species, I'm assuming Maple and Red Oak, but I would ask that question before delivery.

I don't think I will pull the trigger on it this year as I currently have about 10 cords css for this winter and next, and I already have a source of free wood for processing this fall. I seem to be burning 4-5 per winter, so I try to process another 4-5 each year to stay a season ahead.

I would love to do it next year though, I'd probably just need to schedule a vacation week after the drop-off to get a jump on it.

Reactions: Sully1515
Thanks Sully. It sounded good to me too, I just figured I'd poll the folks at this website, get the opinion of some people who know more than I do. I'm not sure of the species, I'm assuming Maple and Red Oak, but I would ask that question before delivery.

I don't think I will pull the trigger on it this year as I currently have about 10 cords css for this winter and next, and I already have a source of free wood for processing this fall. I seem to be burning 4-5 per winter, so I try to process another 4-5 each year to stay a season ahead.

I would love to do it next year though, I'd probably just need to schedule a vacation week after the drop-off to get a jump on it.
I've done log truck loads that yield between 6-7 cords for $400.00 in my area, its been (2) years since my last so they prob raised the price closer to $500.00 but then again most people don't really burn around my area so supply out weighs the demand in most cases.

Reactions: Lakeside
What the heck is a grapple load? Is it a whole herd of unicorn cords?

IMG_1012.jpg

Reactions: Montanalocal
Yeah I don't know, that's just what we call it in New Hampshire. Like, no-one would say "I'm having a log truck drop off a load of logs". They instead would say "I got a grapple load delivered", and you'd just know what they meant. The picture is exactly what it is too.

If i had that kind of money to be tossin around, I would do it. I just hope its not a rip-off load of Box Elder and CottonWood

I don't think it would be that, most of the wood around here that gets delivered is maple and oak, at least that I've seen. I've gotten some odd cherry, elm and ash, but it's all pretty solid heating wood.

Whoa! They don’t have those in the west. It’s like a baby log truck with a self loader.
That is what log trucks are in the northeast. Around here they dont have the huge logging operations and the bigger trucks would have trouble making it in. I went with neighbor once and he had to do 5 point turns to make it through the switchbacks on that road.

See post #24 in the thread, here. Shows a grapple at work.

Yep, but not what a “grapple load” is. A log truck with a grapple can be many things. Regional terminology and regional equipment.

See post #24 in the thread, here. Shows a grapple at work.
That is not what we see here. What is typicsl for this area are the tri axle log trucks like the one seen above in post 11.

I live in Newburyport, Ma. I pay around around $800 - $900 per grapple load. It comes around $100 per cord.

I to am grappling with this too. At this point seller is saying 7-8 cord per load for $800. But his truck which is similar to the attach pic has an area of 7-1/2' wide X 20 long X 6' high which is only 7 cord packed solid.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/load-of-locust.169320/

So my question is - How wood I know if the load is 7/8 cord ?

tsquini do you have a pic to share of a truck loaded.

E858458E-33D2-48C5-91D1-C2401BD086DD.jpeg

I to am grappling with this too. At this point seller is saying 7-8 cord per load for $800. But his truck which is similar to the attach pic has an area of 7-1/2' wide X 20 long X 6' high which is only 7 cord packed solid.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/load-of-locust.169320/

So my question is - How wood I know if the load is 7/8 cord ?

tsquini do you have a pic to share of a truck loaded.

View attachment 228730

You will never know until it is cut, split, and stacked. Heck, some men stack would tighter than others and split smaller which can both effect the final volume.

When considering a truck like that "grapple" truck, he also might hang logs over the back so you get more than 20 feet of length. He may also have hollow spots in the middle where the short logs didn't meet.

You will never know until it is cut, split, and stacked. Heck, some men stack would tighter than others and split smaller which can both effect the final volume.

When considering a truck like that "grapple" truck, he also might hang logs over the back so you get more than 20 feet of length. He may also have hollow spots in the middle where the short logs didn't meet.

What's throwing me off is his truck. Two axles only and a rear crane. Similar to the below pic. He states 7/8 cord but some how I do not think it is capable of this big a load, maybe 6-7. I know I will not know until its stacked but I am trying to justify a lower price and not miss an estimate by Two cord.

Capture.JPG

In my area, guys selling from a commercial truck like that are not willing to negotiate.