Grapple Load - Fair Pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In my area, guys selling from a commercial truck like that are not willing to negotiate.

He did say if it was not full , he would prorate it to a lower price. I should find out soon if this deal is going down. I try to keep the folks here posted with pics too. Thank you too Highbeam

Reactions: Highbeam
In my area, guys selling from a commercial truck like that are not willing to negotiate.
They dont here either if you dont take it someone else will. Most of them have waiting lists

Reactions: Highbeam
I finally got my pictures together so here's what I got.

1) Log load was delivered on a Tri-axle , the truck on the clearing site was only a Bi-Axle this through me off as to the size of the load. Steel log bearer beams where 8 feet tall the log mostly reached the 8 feet height.
2) Cost was $800 almost 100% Black Locust. Only two oak logs.
3) As far as negotiating a lower price depending on size of load. This was a NO-GO. This reminded me of the time I picked up my puppy at the breeder. Place puppy into my hands and say he is the last one. The log truck guy immediately jumped on the crain seat and started unloading before I even had time to talk to the leadman.

So here's of few pic's .

Please advise -
Is this close to being 7 cord ?
Any tips for method to process , such as supporting logs for cutting.

The pile is 6 feet tall by 16 feet wide at the base. My dog is not allowed on the logs, so much for that rule.

Easy now this is my first log load and I am "only feeling the heat"

[/ATTACH] 39385534_10216355168936654_6779408746327048192_n.jpg SAM_4601.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_4606.JPG
    SAM_4606.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 293
  • SAM_4609.JPG
    SAM_4609.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 39441217_10216355167536619_5134561783788339200_n.jpg
    39441217_10216355167536619_5134561783788339200_n.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: kayakkeith
I dont think you can really tell till you buck and split and stack.

What was the agreement? Pay by the load? If it was full...you got the right deal.

Don't ever get pushed around by a guy in a rush. If you're paying..you're the customer...unless a guy is doing you a favor.

So that looks about like the same load that I got with the same like two logs of oak but everything else locust..
My load was slightly bigger but not by much..
I paid $900 but he had to drive a long way

Impossible to know until it’s stacked and even then no two men stack to the same tightness.

I've done many similar loads from the same sized truck and the yield is between 6-7 cords, that's a nice diameter wood to work with, 18" bar should have no issues with cutting into all those logs, now is the time to figure how your going to measure to get uniform lengths, great start for your stash.

Reactions: Lakeside
What was the agreement? Pay by the load?

He did say if it was not full , he would prorate it to a lower price. I think it's a OK deal especially with it being BL.

"guy in a rush" I will be more attentive in the future with clear expectations on load sizing up.

I will find out when its cut and stacked. Just how good this deal was.

time to figure how your going to measure to get uniform lengths

I live at the end of a dirt road , these logs are right beside the road. I am thinkin maybe to roll them up on some 4X4's to raise them . As for a quick measure , I still thinkin of a quick way.

I will be on the lookout for a loose log rolling off the pile and will most likely set a chain, as my dog likes high places to get my attention.

Any more tips on processing are welcome.

I usually pull out a tape measure with a large hook (Stanley FatMax) and shoot a spot of fluorescent inverted spray paint every 16” to mark my cuts. Pretty quick cutting off the pile like that for me. I park my splitter right there where I can toss the rounds. I get loads of 8’ but sometimes up to 20’ logs. I wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t worth it.

Ya I hear you Sportbiker. My stove is a Fireview Woodstock states 16" but I upped it to 18" with no issues.

Processing is one area worth paying close attention as you can add many more pick-up step if you do not think it through.

I think a quick way to mark length / cut without need to roll / cut without risk of hitting dirt are my main items right now.

I am waiting for this 94F 70 F Dew point weather to stop before the work begins, a good time to set-up a good plan.

I'm a mingo marker owner. It's awesome. Roll it down the whole log and get your perfect 16" lengths. You can specify the wheel size for other split lengths like 18" if you want.

Otherwise I Hold a 16" long stick in my trigger hand and measure each length, then cut, then measure. I don't mark the log but visually remember the spot to cut. Use the stick each time. It's surprisingly easy and intuitive to do as you move along.

I only cut about 3/4 of the way through and then roll the log over to cut the rest. You want to avoid touching the saw bar to the dirt.

I use a guage stick and my bill hook that i always have on my belt when cutting. It is quick and easy to run down the log making notches. Thats what works for me i have tried many other things but i like that best.

I am amazed at what you all pay. Perhaps I have just been at the right place and the right time, but I have gotten two loads very similar to this for similar to what Kennyp said, somewhere in the $350-$400 range. Around here, in central Ohio, we are doing the tree companies a favor. Otherwise, they have to pay the mulch/waste companies to take the trees off their hands as “trash”. Then, the trash companies turn around and turn them in to mulch. Sometimes, if you’re lucky, you can catch a logging job and they will deliver for free for the exact same reason; they don’t want to pay the waste yard to dispose of the trees and they’d rather give them to me/whosever.