Green Mountain 80 first issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GM80NY

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate NY West of Albany
Been about 14 months and at the beginning of the season (late Nov) nothing looked off when I had the baffles removed. Today I removed the baffles to check the catalyst and check it out. Yay. I'm glad I checked the catalyst because it was caked pretty bad as well. Came right out with a shop vac though. Really just a PSA. I have an email out to Hearthstone with pics. I will contact Best Fire (installer) to see what they say. I think I could probably put a new gasket in myself. Seems like its a gasket the bypass door rests on when it gets closed. Wish me luck!

IMG_20211214_181825.jpg IMG_20211214_181812.jpg

This is an easy fix. I replaced mine after I grabbed it by mistake while cleaning with my soot eater. I used stove gasket cement and simply placed the rope back into the tracks, closed the door to apply pressure, let dry. The original rope is not cemented in (at least mine was not).

Reactions: GM80NY
This is an easy fix. I replaced mine after I grabbed it by mistake while cleaning with my soot eater. I used stove gasket cement and simply placed the rope back into the tracks, closed the door to apply pressure, let dry. The original rope is not cemented in (at least mine was not).
Thanks for the feedback! The gasket goes around the opening on the inside right? Not on the door itself? I don't think it was cemented either. Seems like their kits come with adhesive on them and you peel the paper back.

I am not impressed by peel and stick gaskets. It may make assembly quicker and easier, but they often don't bond well.

The gasket sits in the 1/4" channel. My stove is lit, so I can't look. I do not recall off hand where the channel is located. I will check next cleaning. But, you should be Abe to see it very easily.

The gasket sits in the 1/4" channel. My stove is lit, so I can't look. I do not recall off hand where the channel is located. I will check next cleaning. But, you should be Abe to see it very easily.
How the heck did you see the channel? When I pulled it out it was stuck on the inside of the opening the bypass door closes over. The CAT area looked pretty tight when I opened it and it didn't look feasible to get to the channel that way. I would've had to pull the cats out and the bypass door with the hinge out and still I didn't think I would be able to get to it without removing the top of the stove itself.

My gasket got sliced by closing door on the gasket when I didn't know it was like that. So I went to a local fireplace store and they had rolls of gasket. I got one that was just a smidge larger than mine (closest size). You can feel the channel with your fingers. Basically right around the bypass opening. I attacked it from the front. I used a small wire brush in the channel and wiped it a few times with wet paper towels till it was fairly clean. Wetted the gasket and the channel again and applied Rutland cement on the gasket as I laid it in. That cement keeps it in place nice. Other than working in confined area it went good. I closed the bypass door on it and left the stove with the front door open for a few hours. Also opened the bypass door a few times to make sure I didn't accidentally get cement where it would bond with the bypass door itself. Then most of the night I slowly built a fire up over like 4 or 5 hours to cure it. Back in business.

One thing to mention is the manuals that Hearthstone provides online show nothing about where this damn gasket goes. They won't tell you much directly either.

Thanks for the help!
IMG_20211218_121218[1].jpg

Reactions: tabner
Been about 14 months and at the beginning of the season (late Nov) nothing looked off when I had the baffles removed. Today I removed the baffles to check the catalyst and check it out. Yay. I'm glad I checked the catalyst because it was caked pretty bad as well. Came right out with a shop vac though. Really just a PSA. I have an email out to Hearthstone with pics. I will contact Best Fire (installer) to see what they say. I think I could probably put a new gasket in myself. Seems like its a gasket the bypass door rests on when it gets closed. Wish me luck!

View attachment 287733 View attachment 287734
Looking through that bypass opening, is something melted and warped back there?

Is the support bar across the front of the baffles to hold them in place? Why does it look like there is a sag in your baffles? Maybe just a reflection.