green mulberry, and punky walnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 5, 2016
Frederick md
So a friend got a job to down a living malbury, and dead walnut. I picked up a few truckloads of chunk wood he had cut up already for me.

I have started splitting it green and I must say life has never been so good! This stuff falls apart. What I split and stacked last week has turned from yellow to red in color.

Interested on how it burns at what moisture? Hoping cutting it in to small splits now will gave ready for this fall/winter.

On the walnut:
Seams the center is rotted out of all the trunk cuts, and much of the wood around it is soft. "Soft" in that it feels good to the touch. But, splitting it the axe just bounces off sometimes. Is that stuff worth chopping up or should I through it on the next bonfire?

Thanks for any input,

Link is how well the malbury splits:

So a friend got a job to down a living malbury, and dead walnut. I picked up a few truckloads of chunk wood he had cut up already for me.

I have started splitting it green and I must say life has never been so good! This stuff falls apart. What I split and stacked last week has turned from yellow to red in color.

Interested on how it burns at what moisture? Hoping cutting it in to small splits now will gave ready for this fall/winter.

On the walnut:
Seams the center is rotted out of all the trunk cuts, and much of the wood around it is soft. "Soft" in that it feels good to the touch. But, splitting it the axe just bounces off sometimes. Is that stuff worth chopping up or should I through it on the next bonfire?

Thanks for any input,

Link is how well the malbury splits:

I love Mulberry! Easy to split, burns hot af, and very purdy wood.

Also: nice Clove Hitch, and I'm a big fan of the wrap and split...try several rounds at once:

bc441b1af5c5986e8aa29b7dccaf6ee2.jpg

876bc419e7fae3eebef7f9049a866e40.jpg

Last edited:
For me, I let mulberry season 3 years. It will turn very dark reddish brown. You'll get maximum burning from it then. Some just can't wait because they don't have enough on reserve. In that case, I think you'll get some sizzle. Out of it. Most fruit wood takes that long to season. A lot of moisture stored in there.