Greene Team Platinum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Schneider

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2012
Southbury, CT
I recall seeing a post last year saying that the Greene Team Platinum pellets are the same as everything else packaged by Greene Team. Perhaps I recall incorrectly.
I decided to try them for myself this year to see if there is a difference. I burned three tons of Green Team Premium from Loews last year and other than the dust, I was satisfied with them. I finished off the remainder of last years supply, and I am finally into the new supply purchased this fall.

So, what did I see:
  • The Platinum pellets are packaged in a much stronger plastic bag. This might not seem like much but the other bags were prone to small tears which result in a trickle of pellets leading from the garage to the stove.
  • The Platinum pellets are, on average, much longer than the Premiums. Less variability in pellet length and longer average length. None of the pellets exceeded 1 1/8 inches with the majority being in the 5/8 to 1 inch range. I expected this to make them appear to burn less hot, but it did not.
  • Almost no fines in the bag. While the Premiums often had between 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fines per bag, the five bags I burned over the last two days had at most 1/8 cup (two tablespoons) of fines. My MVAE doesn't care about the fines. My concern there is the cloud of wood dust that I saw each time I filled the hopper. There is still a little dust raised if I pour too vigorously, but not in the same class as before.
  • The residue in the ash pan is less crusty than with the Premium pellets. I don't know that this means anything at all. I run the MVAE in manual mode at a high flame, +3 or higher out of a 0 to +5 range. I have never had a problem with the auto-clean mechanism or with hard to remove clinkers on the burn pot. There seems to be less material in the ash pan and what is there is softer. Not a quantified observation, just an observation.
So these may come from the same processing plant and perhaps are made in the same machines, but there is a difference in the product.

I'm burning the same pellets in our Harman P43. Great heat, not much ash. We have a 33 gal trash barrel that holds about 4 bags that we empty the bags into and use a feed scoop to fill the hopper (wife has a hard time lifting the bags). I don't see much, if any, dust when emptying the bags and yes almost no fines. They were $275/ton but I think they are great pellets.

Sam

well i think i am going to believe Green Team over you. Sorry :) Robbie said they are the same Said all they do is change the roll on the bagger

well i think i am going to believe Green Team over you. Sorry :) Robbie said they are the same Said all they do is change the roll on the bagger
That's why there are beauty contests and horse races. Sometimes you have to see for yourself.

I just got an email from Greene Team confirming that all their products, shipped in three different packages are the same. Since they have no reason to lie about that, I have to assume that their quality has improved since last year.

I picked up a ton of GTP just yesterday and got a great deal at Lowe's I used a 10% coupon then they have my Dad another 10% for being a veteran :) I can't wait for my last bag of NEWP to leave the hopper. I will never burn NEWP again unless I get them for free! Holy Ash & Clinkers! I previously burned 3 bags of GTP prior and was very satisfied. I only received the NEWP as a barter with a friend, which was a MISTAKE! Nice heat, but total mess! Good luck :)

I am liking the GTP this year. Will be buying more soon!! They burn hot with reasonable ash levels.

Mix them 50/50 with Vermonts for a real treat!

Reactions: jjones139
I just dumped the last bag of NEWP into the hopper!!! GOOD RIDDANCE you dirty ashy animal!! Now to finish this 40lbs, give a good cleaning and then refresh with GTP :)

Reactions: fmsm
I just got an email from Greene Team confirming that all their products, shipped in three different packages are the same. Since they have no reason to lie about that, I have to assume that their quality has improved since last year.
lol

For the Heartland Pellets . How far is Woodstoves & Fireplaces in Middleboro,Ma just bought 10 bags to try out today.

For the Heartland Pellets . How far is Woodstoves & Fireplaces in Middleboro,Ma just bought 10 bags to try out today.
they have Heartland pellets?

Burned 2 hoppers of GTP and I'm cooking the family outta the house, LOL!! Seriously, they burn hotter than the NEWP I had and I'm even burning on low setting. Best part is there is less ash, which is less mess :)

yes, but just about EVERYTHING burns hotter than newp's lol

Reactions: fmsm
yes, but just about EVERYTHING burns hotter than newp's lol
So are the new pellet we trash NEP? What happened to Infernos???

Reactions: P38X2
So are the new pellet we trash NEP? What happened to Infernos???
There was a set of fires in there plant. I know a lot of dealers are not carring them cause there's such a shortage.

Burned 2 hoppers of GTP and I'm cooking the family outta the house, LOL!! Seriously, they burn hotter than the NEWP I had and I'm even burning on low setting. Best part is there is less ash, which is less mess :)

I'm not scared to admit when I'm wrong and I just might have been wrong with bashing NEWP! From early on I always said they burned HOT, but the ash was quite much. I've now burned thru 15 bags of Greene Team and although they burn HOT, I STILL have quite a bit of ash. Lowe's recently got in a shipment of Somersets so I bought 5 bags as a test. I was pleasantly surprised by the HEAT, less ash and .50 a bag cheaper than NEWP & GTP. I now know that my Englander 25-PDV produces a lot of ash, but boy does SHE throw out some HEAT :) I guess I can contend with the ash vac weekly along with a good cleaning. Happy burning :)

From early on I always said they burned HOT, but the ash was quite much. I've now burned thru 15 bags of Greene Team and although they burn HOT, I STILL have quite a bit of ash.

Wait...you're burning wood and are getting ash? Hmmmm. Seems odd to me.

Yes I bought ten bags today for $6.50 per bag or 1.2 ton for $389 there from South Dakota

Let me know what you think of the Heartlands. I like the heat they produce - more than Trebio and Spruce Pointe that have been available here. They are $5.99 when bought by the pallet from my local Home Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.