Greene Team....UPDATE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of time to get pellets. I see deals pop up all season long. Spring is the best time for pellet houses and boxstore are around seasons kick off. Pellet wars seem to keep the boxstores prices in check for most of the season.

A true pellet pig is on the hunt all year long as you'll never know when a deal will happen. When a deal does come about. Don't dilly to long or OMV will snag them from you! :cheese:

j-takeman said:
Nice haul pete. GT's are hard to snag my way. Best pellet Lowes has in my area when they got them. About the only one I'll choose over them is Somerset, But they never get them either. I hoping Lowes will get some GT's soon, so I can add a ton to the pile.

huh?? southington and plainville have been swimming in teames this year, you must be deep in the boonies???

ray

ps more landing on the 28th or so

Forgot to update yesterday....2 tons of GT's IN DA HOUSE....well, in the driveway/pellet shed anyway. 1 ton tucked snug in the shed, and the other ton all covered in tarp waiting for the weekend to get loaded into the basement stash.

Next years supply has started........

I'll take some pics if i remember tomorrow. :-/

Snagged a ton last week, $219 , I used my Lowes card and did not receive 5% offf, i told the lady and she said you got money off contractor pack price of $219,reciept says you saved $24, that only because of the per ton not per bag, i thought bullshit!!,compared to last years they are alot shorter, thank god, but very ashy compared to somerset's, i can usually go a week without a clean but i should of cleaned last night, dark colored ash.
HD says there's no more trucks/pellet's coming this year in Bloomfield, is this true about GT also?

Look at all that ash!!, my nutty broinlaw cleans his stove daily, he would flip!!

Attachments

• 0223120633-00.jpg
    0223120633-00.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 320
Picked up 5 bags Mon night. Good heat and alot of ash, but seem to be a good pellet this year. At 269/ton, too much even with a 10% card. I'll take MWP over these at 219-239/ton. Local Lowes had Maine Choice at 219.... pass.
If I can get the GT at imacman's price of 219, it's a good pellet!!

Nice score Pete!!

I cleaned my stove Sunday, today i called my wife at 10am and told her to shut it down!!, too warm out!!, 50's here today

And i burned it only on a 1-2 all week, the ash is a very easy to clean ash, nothing stuck to the glass and my burnpot was clinker free!!

Attachments

• 0223121753-00.jpg
    0223121753-00.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 266
Wow.... Thats a lot of ash. Makes one appreciate an ash pan. This is my Quad with a lot of ash. My ash pan is full (level with the sides). Hard to tell in the pics. But thats about as bad as I let it get. Otherwise its a big mess pulling the pan out. This one scraped the top and leveled the ash in the sides. I dug a little hole to show depth of ash. Sides are the deepest, pot is over center of pot. Not much build up there.

Love to see the insides of different stoves. The different pots and such. How the ash builds up, the exchange tubes, etc...

Attachments

• quadpot3.jpg
    quadpot3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 226
  • quadpot4.jpg
    quadpot4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 233
  • quadpot.jpg
    quadpot.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 253
Did Greene Team create all that ash? I don't get that much in a week.

Yup GT made all that ash in 4 days on LOW, bag a day, imagine how much is getting past my traps behind the firebrick and into my cleanout T!!

I've burned a lot of GT over the last 2 years and I've never seen anything like that.

Bought a ton from windham tsc for 220 out the door. These Pellets produce the least amount of ash out of any pellets I've burned in 8 years of pellet burning. Heat is middle range, but perfect for this warm winter

Least amount of ash?, what you burn before??.....Inferno's!!

Pellet-King said:
Snagged a ton last week, $219 , I used my Lowes card and did not receive 5% offf, i told the lady and she said you got money off contractor pack price of $219,reciept says you saved $24, that only because of the per ton not per bag.......

I got the same story and excuses when I paid for mine....I replied that the card on the front of the aisle where the pellets are stored didn't say anything about a "contractors price"....she continued to argue w/ me, and then I asked to have the manager come over. He gave the green light on the discount.

Like pulling teeth. Same reason I refuse to give HD any more business, along with their Veterans bullcrap "discount" policy.

I thought 5% off was automatically applied anytime you use your lowes card, maybe that policy has changed?

I went to Lowes this past weekend and they had Maine Choice Pellets for $219 a ton.They seem to be good pellets from what I've read on here but you can only by them by the ton. I'm not willing to buy a ton until I can try out a few bags.

Wow, you can't buy by the bag at Lowes?
One of the biggest advantages of buying at the big box stores is by the bag price is still pretty good, so I can fit 16 bags in the car, and still get a pretty good deal.
I have figured out how to set up the stoves to burn almost any pellet cleanly, so at the most I get a 20* temp difference.
The ash amount varies, but not to an extent that it bothers me much, so price and availability are my main drivers.

1D

1Dtml said:
Wow, you can't buy by the bag at Lowes?
One of the biggest advantages of buying at the big box stores is by the bag price is still pretty good, so I can fit 16 bags in the car, and still get a pretty good deal.
I have figured out how to set up the stoves to burn almost any pellet cleanly, so at the most I get a 20* temp difference.
The ash amount varies, but not to an extent that it bothers me much, so price and availability are my main drivers.

1D

Not the Maines... they tell me by the ton only.

Not in Lowes Seabrook NH. Maines Choice being sold MORE by the bag than the Ton. Pallets of loose all over the store

This year I've been burning the Greene Team's I bought
early last Spring @ 209 a ton. They throw a huge amount
of heat and that price was great but, man do they chit up
the stove. You should have seen what came out of there.
In the seven yrs of owning this stove I don't recall any pellet
that made as much of a mess. I'll be burning them until
Spring so next cleaning I'll videotape so folks can see the mess.
Think I'm going to stock up for next year with a different brand
but not sure what just yet.

Lowes in Plainville has the Green Team for $219/ton.

Xena said:
This year I've been burning the Greene Team's I bought
early last Spring @ 209 a ton. They throw a huge amount
of heat and that price was great but, man do they chit up
the stove. You should have seen what came out of there.
In the seven yrs of owning this stove I don't recall any pellet
that made as much of a mess. I'll be burning them until
Spring so next cleaning I'll videotape so folks can see the mess.
Think I'm going to stock up for next year with a different brand
but not sure what just yet.

Xena-Myself and another had that exact problem last year with GT. Luckily I had only 1 ton, they had 2.

I swore that I would never use them again, but since I had good luck in 2009 and heard good feedback this year, I just finished 7 bags of test burn that I picked up last week. They are much better. Not too bad cleanup. More like the GT's I burned in 2009. Maybe you got some of the left overs from last year?

But at 269/ton from local Lowes, still wont buy any tonnage unless they come down to the 219 range. Tested just in case.

gbreda said:
Xena-Myself and another had that exact problem last year with GT. Luckily I had only 1 ton, they had 2.

I swore that I would never use them again, but since I had good luck in 2009 and heard good feedback this year....
Maybe you got some of the left overs from last year?

I got two ton and they weren't left overs,
I actually bought them last year (March 2011).
Paid $209 a ton so won't complain too much about the
extra mess but wish it would get colder for a little while
as I have well over a ton of them remaining and would
prefer to not have to deal with them in the Fall.
$269? Forget that. If I'm gonna pay that I'll spend a
little more and get pellet house pellets for next season.

I just grabbed the last 8 bags of GT at my local lowes. It was down to me and another guy. He had a cart and i had one of those flat trucks. So I knew I had had him beat....my wife was with me and chuckled after...said he knew I was serious with my flat hand truck.

Although for karmas sake I would have split them..

IHATEPROPANE said:
....It was down to me and another guy......Although for karmas sake I would have split them..

You did the right thing......us pigs share with no one!!! :mad:

The GTs I bought in the fall are the best pellets I've burned this season. Maybe a slight bit of ash but that's it. No clinkers, good glass, low fines, low dust, no stank etc. Almost forgot great heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.