Greenfire Europa 75

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Redntall 74. I am something of a neophyte to all this, I am still learning it. And I have a feeling that the Dell Point dealer was more interested in getting my money...than in informing me about the comprehensive heating systems options available and suitable for my unique situation. Or maybe they do not know about pellet powered boilers.
I will need to read more about this and find out if there is a pellet boiler that has a "gas energy" backup. At present I can't visualize myself coming up with a system for "continuous flow" of pellets or corn into my basement. I just empty sacks of pellets into the Europa manually right now.
So I will need to do more reading and study. The pellet powered boiler unit on this website link you provided looks convincing. I was not able to find a price anywhere, maybe I didn't look in the right spot. About how much is it? There's probably no service center for it in Northern Indiana, I'll have to look.
And I don't think I will be able to afford any big expenditures for a while. I actually took out a loan to get the Europa and I guess I made a bad move there. Chalk it up to inexperience.
There is another issue. I don't have my basement "sealed" properly yet, in the sense that I still have a pretty bad leakage problem. I need to divert the drainage in my yard, by putting in more "channels" or underground PVC leading to underground barrels...systems I have read about but have not yet installed. I don't think I should put an expensive or new heating component into my "crawl space" basement until the basement itself is in better shape.
I could tell you some pretty sad stories about basement flooding, but maybe I should save that for another website: "middleearth.com" or somewhere. My basement is the closest you can get to Venice without an airline ticket, but the water stinks! Ha ha.

They make outdoor pellet boilers that would tie into your system but cost may become a factor there.
Indiana has lots of corn. How about an outdoor corn burner boiler. Many options out there. Research is the key. I took over a month to figure out what I wanted vs what i needed vs what I could afford.
I bought the Europa used our I would not have been able to go with it. The previous owner didn't know how to maintian it so they had problems. It has been trouble free for me.
Actually I am shutting it down as I type this and am going to do a major cleaning. It will be back up and running in less than a half hour.
Sorry for your problems. Wish the dealer would have taken more time to understand your needs.

I agree with Redntall that research is the key. Once I study the options available and hopefully get in contact with more of a network of knowledgeable people, I'll look into the outdoor corn burner boiler.
I am trying to visualize how it would look in the yard, I just need to learn more about it. Farmers and hardware store owners around here have talked about a "Gravity wagon" for corn storage, and I still do not know exactly what that is either ..but I think I have seen one in a photo here on this site. That is a system for storing fuel, not a boiler, I know...but I am assuming that a corn burning boiler would need a substantially sized fuel storage component.
I need to read this site through and through, that is for sure.
I am probably similar that owner you mentioned, who didn't know how to maintain the Europa right. But it has not been for a lack of trying. I am going to keep on trying. Will probably shut it down for cleaning this coming weekend.

When putting the ash auger back in take extra time to make sure it is aligned and meshed to the motor. There is a litle bit of play back there to adjust. Slow and easy wins the race.

The instructions in the manual on how to clean the ash extraction system (below burn pot, above ash pan) also say to be careful and mention that "the lovejoy connection may be loose" I find that reference confusing because I don'nt know what that refers to.

I am talking about "Ash Extraction System Maintenance instructions on page 21. I know this is all "trial and error" but I do not want to make some kind of fatal error while cleaning.

Lovejoy is just a name. Each side has two prongs on them and they just mesh together. Before taking 9/16' nuts off (each has a washer and lock washer on them) reach back there once stove is only warm and feel it. That will give you an idea of how it should be when put back together. It is very simple but could be messed up if you really are not paying attention to it. Partially align it and put nuts and washers back on then realign it before tightening the nuts. You should have no problem with it.

When I was shopping for a pellet stsove I called Dell Point directly because there aren't any local dealers. I actually spoke directly to Claude LaPointe, who is one of the founders of Dell Point (http://www.pelletstove.com/french/award.html). He speaks very good English and I almost bought a stove from him. I was told by a former Dell Point dealer that it is the most efficient pellet stove sold in North America. I'm not sure if he offers over the phone customer service to people who bought from a dealer, but I know that there is no language problem. He seems very nice.

In reference to Dell Point receiving an award, did the company itself win an award or did the stove (Dell-Point Europa) win an award based on its actual performance? I will have to read their website more carefully because it doesn't say specifically that the stove won an award. I was taken in by that claim when I bought the Europa in 2006.
Even if it's the most efficient stove in North America, it hasn't proved efficient for me. I'm here just waiting for it to burn out & shut down so I can clean it. Hopefully with the instructions I have received, I'll be better able to clean it the right way.
Of course the dealer trying to sell the stove will say that it is efficient. I think that FPI needs to do a thorough review of their clients who use the stove when they make their claims. I wrote a letter to the president of FPI based on my experience with his product and I am waiting to hear an answer.
Maybe the stove is a good invention but the company lacks the staff necessary to transmit essential information about it. In my opinion, their customer service leaves much to be desired.

Hi we have had our Europa 75 for 3 years this will be the 4th season with it. We love it .Last season we had to replace the fan but that was under warranty. We use our stove as our main source of heat. I love wood heat better then oil we keep the house at 72-73 all winter. We burn energex or greenteam for pellets have had no problems.We keep the settings at most of the time the burn is on 3 or 4 depending on how cold it is ash is on 2 air flow between 6 & 8 we follow the chart and we always use the gauge. Our stove pipe is straight up through the roof past ridge poll not out through the wall. We have 2 275 oil tanks last season we burned 3 tons since we have had our stove the most we have burned was 3 1/2. My oil is only for hot water and back up only used 236 gallons for the year before my stove we would go through 900 to 1100 gallons in a season. We leave it running all the time and clean once a week some times we go two weeks. We love it.

:) I too am on my third year and have not burned 50 gallons of fuel oil since it was installed and am using 3 to 4 tons a season. My experience is almost identical to yours except I haven't lost a fan yet. This year I do have to replace 1 auger. I bought the stove used and the previous owner burned corn and did not clean it very well and that was the cause of early wear on that auger. On the coldest days last winter I cranked it up to 5 but roasted myself out so had to turn it back down. I also run it at 3 to 4 most of the time. I find it tends to soot up trying to run it at 1. I have had problems with keeping the handles tightened down but that is minor. I have kept records since install and with all the startup costs and pellets used as compared to fuel oil on a budget plan it will fully pay for itself this season, so a 3 year 100% pay off over fuel oil is aces in my book.

Hi redntall74 we too have already got our monies worth from this stove. We purchased our stove from the hearth Dr in Gray Maine. Bill told us that dell point was going to stop making this particular model, because it was to costly too make. You mentioned in one of your post it takes you 15 min too clean it takes me 1/2 hr for a quick clean and 1 hr when I remove the tri auger. I feel this is the best stove on the market. Very efficient if you have the settings set right. Hopefully every one got a mini helic gauge settings card with stove.If not hear are the settings on the card and what the gauge should read for each setting.
Heat setting # 1 0.10-0.15 inches w.c. gauge should read between 1 and 1 slash

Heat setting # 2 0.12-0.17 " " " " " " 1 and 2 1/2 slash

Heat setting # 3 0.15-0.20 " " " " " " 1 and 3 1/2 slash

Heat setting # 4 0.20-0.26 " " " " " " 2 and 1 1/2 slash

Heat setting # 5 0.24-0.30 " " " " " " 2 and 3 1/2 slash

We hope this helps everyone who is having troubles with their settings If you follow the gauge settings you should receive the best efficiency from your stove.

Hi all! A new member here with need of some info. I have a Europa 75 stove that I got in 2005 with relatively little problems with it. It's been keeping my house very toasty. Now I understand that the manufacturer went out of business of these stoves and that parts and service is extremely hard to find. I can do limited maintenance on it myself, but need some help from you wonderful people here first. My burn pot doesn't seem to "swirl" that much anymore. The last time I looked at the combustion fan, it was looking a little rusted and worn out. Could this be my problem? The burn pot stays way full unless I stoke it and clean the wall. How hard is it to replace the fan and where can I get one?

Any help would be very appreciated!

So I was actually given a GF 75 basically new, it has been in a week and is blowing my wife and mine minds, we have a 3 floor house 2500 sqf at level 4 un insulated in the walls it keeps the house at easily 70 degrees, we had a bad year, our oil company had been pretending to clean our boiler for over 15 years, until it became inoperable furnace guys refused to do a deep clean and so it goes no heat in december, until my friend who was just given it 4 yrs ago but never installed because she felt it was ugly and stayed with the propane, but passed it down to me, another friend installed it and I meekly started it, boom instant heat, house was at 42 within 2 hours 55 next morning on 5 it was 71 dropped it down to 2 and 3 stays over 58 trust me 58 is heaven to us after paying $600 per month in the winter for oil with a blanket on a sofa for 17 years, now with the kindness of friends we have a warm house, but my problem is the same as many what really is the cleaning process, I need to do it tomorrow, I have the ash vac, the gls cleaner etc, but I read so many different opinions, once a week , every 2 weeks, etc and how it is so confusing, my glass is completely covered in ash, thank you forums will never keep it at 1 again, pellets were Lowes, sucker born every minute hello me, just need guiding guys and girls, especially because now it is are only heating source
Thanks in advance
Lyndon

Wow! You don't believe in periods at the end of a sentence, do you?

Your glass shouldn't be covered in ash if everything is right. A thorough cleaning would mean the fans, burn pot (make sure the holes are cleaned and the pot is reinstalled the right end up) and ash extractor, etc. I do mine three times during the winter season, but I live in Maryland, not Boston. You must've been extremely cold there! I notice that my heat tubes get caked faster than anything else with ash so you may have to clean those more regularly. These tubes are inside the burn area and transfers the heat if they are caked, less heat will be felt. I just use a regular wide paint scraper to get the ash off of the glass. The glass cleaner just smudges everything and the glass has to be cooled down.

Congratulations on getting a very efficient heater and at a very decent price! :)

I get three tons of pellets during the summer or fall when they are cheapest and put them all in my basement for easy storage.

Wow! You don't believe in periods at the end of a sentence, do you?

Your glass shouldn't be covered in ash if everything is right. A thorough cleaning would mean the fans, burn pot (make sure the holes are cleaned and the pot is reinstalled the right end up) and ash extractor, etc. I do mine three times during the winter season, but I live in Maryland, not Boston. You must've been extremely cold there! I notice that my heat tubes get caked faster than anything else with ash so you may have to clean those more regularly. These tubes are inside the burn area and transfers the heat if they are caked, less heat will be felt. I just use a regular wide paint scraper to get the ash off of the glass. The glass cleaner just smudges everything and the glass has to be cooled down.

Congratulations on getting a very efficient heater and at a very decent price! :)

I get three tons of pellets during the summer or fall when they are cheapest and put them all in my basement for easy storage.
I spoke to soon, it shut down and I have an "E5" warning today temp is dropping quickly, thanks for your support Holly.

F5

Auger feed motor fuse blown.

Clear jammed auger and replace fuse. damn I am at a lost I have no idea what kind of fuse even any help would be helpful, cheers, Lyndon

So with trial and error I replaced the fuse a 1/2 amp, and unclogged the auger, now my question is why did it get clogged and how can I prevent it getting clogged again, any advice would be helpful==c==c==c

What do you feed your stove?

My auger got jammed up really bad on corn. I had to stop using . Replaced the augers twice! And yes, the fuse was blown too. I only use pellets now, the finest possible as I get very minimal ash or clinkers.

At the beginning of spring this year I noticed the tiny holes in the burn pot a little clogged and had to clean them out with a small round file or round wire brush. This helped my burn tremendously and the burn pot was superior after that and doing a really good cleaning of the ash augers and the fans. Build up of ash on the tubes helped alot too once they were cleaned. My ash level is very low now, so I have to look at the settings and play with them. I notice a huge difference in the warmth of the house with the stove going in the basement 24/7. I burn about a bag/bag and a half a day (40-60 lbs).

At the beginning of spring this year I noticed the tiny holes in the burn pot a little clogged and had to clean them out with a small round file or round wire brush. This helped my burn tremendously and the burn pot was superior after that and doing a really good cleaning of the ash augers and the fans. Build up of ash on the tubes helped alot too once they were cleaned. My ash level is very low now, so I have to look at the settings and play with them. I notice a huge difference in the warmth of the house with the stove going in the basement 24/7. I burn about a bag/bag and a half a day (40-60 lbs).
Wow you are pretty amazing helping me with this, it's my top auger the one that feeds the pellets that got clogged rigid, wish you were my neighbour I would cook you dinner for the help you are freely giving, as of now it is pretty much our only heat source, it is a learning curve to it, ask me to run a restaurant with 400 people ,no problem. A big part of it is the instructions are so vague._g

The top auger, huh? How could that get clogged? Did the pellets jam it up?

Thanks for the cudos Lyndon. I would welcome a dinner any time! It seems the friends on here are pretty decent. They've helped me out a bunch too. I have a good source for parts too if you need any.

Yes, EVERYONE on here says the instructions are less than helpful, but at least there is something, right? And then there are the forums...

Wow you are pretty amazing helping me with this, it's my top auger the one that feeds the pellets that got clogged rigid, wish you were my neighbour I would cook you dinner for the help you are freely giving, as of now it is pretty much our only heat source, it is a learning curve to it, ask me to run a restaurant with 400 people ,no problem. A big part of it is the instructions are so vague._g
The top auger, huh? How could that get clogged? Did the pellets jam it up?

Thanks for the cudos Lyndon. I would welcome a dinner any time! It seems the friends on here are pretty decent. They've helped me out a bunch too. I have a good source for parts too if you need any.

Yes, EVERYONE on here says the instructions are less than helpful, but at least there is something, right? And then there are the forums...
And of course as soon as I tried to raise the temp it refuses but is happy to lower it for me , good grief !

Status
Not open for further replies.