Greenwood at the farm show

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SE Iowa

Jan 17, 2008
SE Iowa
I got to see a GW in action at the Farm Progress Show. Seeing it in person helps understand so much better. From my limited time with the dealer, I came away with a couple of thoughts;

1. As I've read before but it never sank in, the GW is not truely a traditional gasifier. Is this correct? Essentially it was a large firebox with a large ceramic liner that would allow higher internal temps compared to other OWB's. My understanding is that OWB's squelch the conbustion with the steel firebox/water jacket and in doing so, cause the smoke/incomplete combustion/loss of efficacy.

2. Second advantage over OWB's is the small amount of heat exchange coolant. At 7 gallons not alot of squelching, but I'll bet you nneed a large or efficient heat exchanger when running all out (d/t risk of overheating).

3. It seemed to be a hybrid b/w a gassifier and a OWB in the sense that it did have a large fire box and only burned the wood when there is a call for heat, but that there was negligible smoke and at least did appear to be burning more efficiently.

My question to GW owners, can anyone give there anecdotal results on what their heat loads are and how often they are really loading the stove? Can they really run for 8 to 12 hours? and if so, what are your ave daily heat loads in BTU's?

?? 19K btu/hr. Not sure what this figure means. According to the literature it is a 100Kbtu/hr boiler. Does this mean that assuming there is wood in the boiler it can max consume 100Kbtu/hr or that the firebox only holds ~150000btu's of wood (150000 / 8hrs = 19K btu's/hr??

Status
Not open for further replies.