Grizzly Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sixsmiths

Dec 23, 2022
Arizona
Does anybody know the model and history of this stove? I am considering putting in my outdated open fireplace to try to heat my desert home . Is it a cat stove and what would I need to check to make sure it is in good condition? Thanks for the help!

1671852981251.png

Does anybody know the model and history of this stove? I am considering putting in my outdated open fireplace to try to heat my desert home . Is it a cat stove and what would I need to check to make sure it is in good condition? Thanks for the help!

View attachment 306047
I highly doubt that is a cat stove. It looks like a copy of a buck stove which is just a steel box basically. To install in a fireplace you will need a full insulated stainless liner the same size of the stove outlet run from the stove out the top of the chimney

Not a copy of a Buck at all but function is similar and it is just a basic steel box. It is a Grizzly and they built some nice stoves, some with some nice nickel plated ornamentation on them. The Grizzly stoves are more common, but yours is the less common insert.

Do they heat pretty well ? Looking to warm 1800 SQ ft. , thanks
About that insert, I cannot say. I have no clue. Never been around one.

If you install it there are things you need to do to make sure it is a safe install, if it can be installed at all in your situation. Moderators here can help you in that regard.

Ok thank you , can someone educate me about needing a stainless steel liner to run up the chimney ? Why can’t you use non stainless steel or use a flex liner?

Ok thank you , can someone educate me about needing a stainless steel liner to run up the chimney ? Why can’t you use non stainless steel or use a flex liner?
What would it be made of if not stainless?

It absolutely can be a flex liner that is what it most commonly used