Ground Plug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, blew his socks and shoes off. He's lucky he is alive. Don't work without it!

It is always wise to be well grounded

BeGreen said:
Yikes, blew his socks and shoes off. He's lucky he is alive. Don't work without it!

I once heard an account of a guy who was cutting up an old gasoline storage tank like they use at gas stations... using a cutting torch. They found his shoes near the tank but the rest of him was gone.

Funny you mention this today. While at work i take off the panel cover and find this
Test-Clip-Kit-4WRA8_AS01.JPG

Attached to one of the buss bars.

Turns out the flooring guys needed to plug into the range or dryer plug which were not installed yet so they take the panel cover off and clip onto the buss bars and get their power that way. They had the potential to run 200 amps through their cord for their sander. Not to mention the terrific arc flash that could have happened had this fallen off and hit both bars (opposite phases) at the same time.

Idiots.

Semipro said:
BeGreen said:

I once heard an account of a guy who was cutting up an old gasoline storage tank like they use at gas stations... using a cutting torch. They found his shoes near the tank but the rest of him was gone.

Most people drop some dry ice in a tank and cut it with a cut saw. Dry Ice = no O2....

In Long Valley, NJ two guys removed an underground oil tank, drained rest of the oil and started cutting. One guy was found 50 feet away and the other guy was mangled. The guy who went 50 feet lived.

Moral of the story, don't do this. The shorts you cut, may be your own!

Status
Not open for further replies.