Grounding a hearth pad to stove with blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris87654

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2010
MO
I plan to use a Type 2 hearth pad under a Drolet Legend.
http://www.menards.com/main/heating...-slate-floor-wall-shield/p-1698722-c-6857.htm

Installation directions say "If an electrical blower is being used in conjunction with the UL Listed Fireplace Stove or Solid Fuel Type Room Heater, HY-C Grounding Kit (Part # ULEG - sold separately) is required to ground the Type 2 HY-C Stove Board / Floor Protector / Wall Shield / Ember Protector and electrical blower in accordance with the National Electrical Code." Here is the ground wire:
http://www.menardsonlinecollections...ing-kit/p-1698732-c-6857.htm?plckReviews=true

I can't find instructions on how to do this. Should I attach it under a screw/stud on the stove (where blower attaches) then drill a hole in the pad? Also wondering if I could make my own grounding wire with green teflon shielded 12 gauge wire. Aside from spending $8 on the "grounding kit", the wire doesn't look long enough to go from the stove to the pad (stove has 9" legs and blower's up a couple more inches) - I'd rather not drill a hole in the leg or stove.

I have never heard of this either. How can you ground an insulated, non-metal object? It would seem that would only apply if a steel plate was used?

I have never heard of this either. How can you ground an insulated, non-metal object? It would seem that would only apply if a steel plate was used?
those are metal covered boards. But i have never heard of it either

If you all haven't heard of doing this, then I won't unless the inspector says something - he probably hasn't heard of it either. These are supposed to be made of "magnesium oxide and ceramic materials" - I don't know if it's conductive. I don't know if there's a metal layer inside since I couldn't find details on construction. The blower has a grounded outlet so all should be good.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.