Grr...Got some wood, couldn't cut it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, didn't get updates on this thread:
1. Tree was dead. The owner couldn't afford the extra $4-5k to fell the remainder (pic of what's still standing attached).
2. Yeah, it was WAAAY more than 1 cord--I simply don't have room for it, even when it's neatly c/s/s. I've c/s/s a little under 1/2 cord so far, and probably have more than half left. Pic attached of what they actually left.
3. Assuming this is a bit more than a cord, I'll have about 2/3 cord of 2 yo mixed hardwood for this year (we'll see if I'm a bit short this year), a bit over a cord of oak that will be 2.5 yo for next year, then this oak for the year after that. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room to get further ahead than that.
4. FINALLY got the chainsaw working. Replaced the fuel lines/filter/plug. No go. Did a non-half-assed carb rebuild with a complete kit, which did the job.
IMAG0441.jpgIMAG0446.jpg

Thats certainly a huge tree, but $4-5K for whats left? Doesn't that seem awfully high?

That's one big mutha. By the looks of the wound (spiraling), sure looks like a lightning strike at one time or another was the culprit. 4k sounds about right for what's left, that ain't no easy job right there. Piece by piece for sure......

That tree looks like it must be close to 5' at the bottom. It reminds me of that oak tree I went to cut and haul in Portland years ago. The guy never told me it was something my 16" saw could not handle.

Looks like the Fan to me...

@ DC: Close, Museum District.
Talking to my neighbors, they told me that this tree was used as a meeting point during the civil war. Not sure how true that is, but I'd venture that it's one of the oldest (or was) in Richmond.

We're half a block from the Maury statue, neighbor!

Wow that tree must be huge! Nice score on the wood delivery!

Status
Not open for further replies.