Guess how much wood? (Update message #25 has final answer)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - FINALLY I got a chance to finish stacking the rest of the pile. I had to cut a good bit (about 1/2 of the seasoned wood) so that it will fit in my stove... I had no idea it would be that much of it, but heck, it got me a chance to practice on the chainsaw for a while and that is worth something eh? Ok - rationalization.

So the final score (pun intended) is:

Green wood: 1.25 cords
Seasoned: 1.1 cord
Total: 2.35 cords

Once I factored in all my $costs (gas, bribes to helpers but ignoring my time) I paid $187.70/cord - so not a bad deal as I rather enjoyed the time spent 'playing' with the woodpile (as I think my wife looks at it). I'll post pictures in a bit if folks are interested - Looking at the piles I can see I learned a lot between the first and second. I thought the first (green) looked pretty good until I built the second one and now the first looks pretty sloppy to me. Ahh.. no, I won't be re stacking just for that reason :)

Slow1 said:
Well - FINALLY I got a chance to finish stacking the rest of the pile. I had to cut a good bit (about 1/2 of the seasoned wood) so that it will fit in my stove... I had no idea it would be that much of it, but heck, it got me a chance to practice on the chainsaw for a while and that is worth something eh? Ok - rationalization.

So the final score (pun intended) is:

Green wood: 1.25 cords
Seasoned: 1.1 cord
Total: 2.35 cords

Once I factored in all my $costs (gas, bribes to helpers but ignoring my time) I paid $187.70/cord - so not a bad deal as I rather enjoyed the time spent 'playing' with the woodpile (as I think my wife looks at it). I'll post pictures in a bit if folks are interested - Looking at the piles I can see I learned a lot between the first and second. I thought the first (green) looked pretty good until I built the second one and now the first looks pretty sloppy to me. Ahh.. no, I won't be re stacking just for that reason :)

You are fortunet you can live with a lousy stack, sometimes i have to rebuild 2 or 3 times lol

Given that I plan to let the wood season for two years I have a strong feeling I won't be able to stand to look at it that long... especially as I know I'll get even better at stacking as my skills improve over time eh? I'll get better and faster too I bet as time goes on.

Bigg_Redd said:
webby3650 said:
Pics can be deceiving but I would say only 1 to 1.5 cords you got there. Have to see what it stacks up to.

x2

x3

No final pics?

Ok - finally pictures (takes time you know...).

4 pictures - two of each stack. I think it should be pretty obvious which is the green and which is the seasoned wood. The seasoned stack is in the original location where the pile was.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• CIMG1656.JPG
    CIMG1656.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 262
  • CIMG1657.JPG
    CIMG1657.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 238
  • CIMG1658.JPG
    CIMG1658.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 250
  • CIMG1659.JPG
    CIMG1659.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 244
Huh..the smaller individual piles are way more pleasing to the eye, they work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.