Had to buy a pull cone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
Picked it up and it states that it's made for homesaver pipes. It has two "blades" near its base that apparently screw into the inner corrugation rings of a flex liner. The Flex King Pro that I bought has a smoother interior so these "blades" don't really catch any grooves. But I can get it inside fairly snug. What I wonder is if I can run a couple of decking screws through the sidewalls of my liner and into the sheet metal of the pull cone. I would then tape it all nice and snug to help prevent anything from snagging on the way down the chimney. Does this sound logical?

It's been raining here for a straight week now and I'm itching to get this thing installed. We got it half way down the chimney several days ago and realized that there is not one, but two bends in my chimney. Apparently it offsets to get around the fireplace on the second floor but I didn't notice this when I did my first inspection. I hope this cone will do the trick.

By the way, when I'm finished with it, I'll be trying to sell it. I paid $55 including shipping, but will work something out if anyone needs one.

And with that stiff double wall liner the pain will be in both cheeks.

Two offsets can just ruin a whole day. I would not use the cone myself they bind up in the offsets. We always use good old metel plumbers tape screw the plumbers tape too the liner.then screw a U pc on the end too tie a rope to. that way it stays compact and not rigid.Best of luck

Daryl said:
Two offsets can just ruin a whole day. I would not use the cone myself they bind up in the offsets. We always use good old metel plumbers tape screw the plumbers tape too the liner.then screw a U pc on the end too tie a rope to. that way it stays compact and not rigid.Best of luck

Can you explain that in a bit more detail please. You guys are starting to freak me out.

OK I will explain the best I can.Plumbers tape is metel tape that has holes in it. Wrap the plumbers tape around the bottom of the liner screw in place .Then screw in place a pc. to go across the liner so you can tie a rope to it. When pulling down the liner you need too twist and push when someone else is pulling.After the first offset it gets harder because you cant twist and push with as much pressure. So keep steady pressure on the rope as the liner comes and hope it does not come to a stop in the second offset. Thats all I have to say good luck.

set a block at the bottom of the chimney run the rope threw the block attach the rope to the pick up trailer hitch.
Most important part you must hand your ole lady your beer while saying "hold my beer"
then give er hell that should get your liner threw the offsets.

crazy_dan said:
Most important part you must hand your ole lady your beer while saying "hold my beer"....

I think the actual quote is, "Hold my beer an' watch this!" - but pretty close! :) I would have been tempted to see if a guy could make several loops of duct tape say a foot to 18 inches over the end, then run more tape around the circumference of the pipe to help hold. Then tie a rope to the big 'flap' of duct tape sticking off the end of the pipe. But sounds like a pretty extreme situation. Good luck!

Yeah the chimney has three flues. The one on the far left goes to the living room(where I'm putting the stove), the middle flue runs straight down to a fireplace in the master bedroom on second floor, and the far right flue runs down to the basement.

It appears that the flue I'm trying to line, drops straight for about 15-18 ft and then slopes out and to the left to go around the firplace opening in the bedroom. It then continues down for another few feet and then slopes back to the right to terminate in the living room fireplace.

Looking up the flue from the living room and down from the roof, it looks as though there is enough room even as the bends start, but I obviously can't see into those blind areas. Would it be reasonable to assume that the mason kept the same flue dimensions throughout?

If you already have the cone, the logical thing is to screw it to the liner. I would use the self tappers and give it a shot...

Status
Not open for further replies.