Hairline cracks near insert door.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattziv

Nov 1, 2016
Idyllwild
I have an old steel box insert like the one in this post. "The Blaser"
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/thinking-about-selling-insert-w-pic.43599/#post-550179

I was cleaning it out the other day and noticed several short diagonal hairline cracks emanating from the corners of the front opening. I noticed a very small amount of ash dust was coming out when I pushed against them from the inside with my finger.

Is there a simple, fireproof way to seal these? I'm not looking for longevity as we are going to replace it with a modern insert next year.
10 of the firebricks are cracked as well. They are in place still and seem ok. Is there any benefit to replacing these even though we are planning on replacing the entire stove? I know the bricks are not cheap.

Best,
Matt

The cracks can be welded...if your ditching the insert next year I would forego the expense of new bricks.