Hamers pellets, damaged bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
Good snowy evening from western Connecticut. I've been burning Hamers Hot Ones from the beginning when my stove was installed. I've always been happy with the heat and low ash. Still am. This year, however, I'm running into damaged bags, i.e. holes in them. Funny part is the outside weather wrap does not seem to be damaged which would lead one to believe the bags were damaged before or as they were being loaded on the pallet. Have had four bags on this pallet so far out of eleven used and I'm not talking small holes. In two cases now I've had to off load the pellets into a pail. I'm curious if this in an isolated problem or are others having a similar experience. Thank you and stay warm.

Here's wishing all of you an enjoyable holiday season and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

BigJohn, Happy Holidays to you too...

I have never experienced something like that. Usually the damage is from the outside and you can see the wrapping is damaged.

Your bags must have been damaged by some automated process that went wrong. I wish I had access to Hamers; I tried them once and they are really good.

I had a similar but not identical problem with a ton of Barefoot last year. Some of the bags in the middle of the stack, not on the top or outside edge had been wet at some point and there were even some nut shells in between some of the bags. Dealer made it right, think 9 out of 50 bags were messed up. Was annoying though