Hampton i300 Fan Cycle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berone

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2007
Peekskill, NY
Still getting the hang of the new insert. I'm wondering what others with this stove experience with the fan. Ours tends to cycle on and off a lot. It will run for maybe 5 minutes or so, then shut down for 5, then run for 5. This repeats for hours at a time. I would have thought that once the insert got up to temperature the fan would kick on and stay on until the insert cooled. So I'm puzzled by the on\off cycle. Any insights would be appreciated.

The fan is controlled by a "snap" switch that clicks or snaps when it reaches a certain temperature and then does the same as the stove cools. The snap switch has to contact the stove for it to work properly. My guess is that your fan isn't pushed on quite enough and so it cycles frequently.

hilly said:
The fan is controlled by a "snap" switch that clicks or snaps when it reaches a certain temperature and then does the same as the stove cools. The snap switch has to contact the stove for it to work properly. My guess is that your fan isn't pushed on quite enough and so it cycles frequently.

That's it exactly. The thermodisk gets hot, the switch closes & actuates the blower...
Because of an air space between the disk & the stove body, the
air being sucked into the blower causes the the disk to cool & it opens,
causing the blower to heat up again & close...
Never ending cycle.
See if you can either loosen the backet to move the disk into contact with
the stove body, or bend the bracket to do it.

Thank you! I'll look at that on my next free morning. I love it when there's a definable issue to solve!

I also have that same issue with my Hampton HI300. My solution is to keep the fan in "on" mode rather than "auto". However, the thermodisc is mounted on a "L" shapped piece of sheet metal that can be bent slightly inward getting it closer to the fire box. If it touches the firebox, you may develop some added noise due to vibration of the fan.

Thanks again, that did it! When I first installed the fan I had to loosen the mounting brackets to get the fan to slide in at all. I pulled it today and tightened the brackets up. Again, the fan wouldn't slide in. This time, though, I was more conservative in loosening the bolts. Several tries until I could just get it into place. Lit the fire up and when the fan kicked on it stayed on.

Marsh, its designed to touch...

Status
Not open for further replies.