Happens Every Year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I was just outside taking the woodpile cat for her required walk in the woods and could hear two chainsaws running. It is just in the low sixties but this is our first chilly air of the year since we have had record heat this year. I guarantee you that wood being cut is gonna burn tonight because we are taking our first trip down into the forties. Happens every year. Air turns cool and the saws start up. And the other thing that always happens is by next week I will be hearing the fire trucks on the run. Every night.

So you're saying they're "cutting down their free chimney cleaning"? :)

I have one neighbor that burns 24/7 and has been heating with wood as long as I have. Every year his firewood is cut for the season along about now. Last week he had no firewood. Late in the week tree guys came in and took down a huge oak in front of his house and today I see that it is split and stacked ready for this season. And next week that ladder that stays up against the smoking chimney all season will be back up there. Glad I found this forum and an easier way to do it. Though I have to say I used to cut mine earlier in the summer. :red: Six cords of it every year. Now it takes just three and no ladder up there all winter.

Listening to people on this site costs ya money and some work. Cost me a ton for new stoves and liners and getting two years ahead drying wood but the long term savings is worth it. Especially now that I am not a young buck and can't just beat the problems back with "horsepower". And I haven't had annual mini chimney fires in six years now.

Time to sit that neighbor down to share a naty lite and educate him what you learned?

Nah. He would be about as ready to hear it as I would have been a few years ago. In fact if you look back to the old forum I was as big a "what the hell are you talking about" old fool as some that show up here every year about this time.

Except that twenty five years ago I was looking for ways to line those masonry chimneys but there wasn't anything out there. And I just never looked again and stumbled across the forum looking for information on the trailer load of Jotul gas stoves I had just bought at an auction. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Still ain't buying no damn cat stove though. :lol:

Same with me burned about 6 cords a year none of it more than 3 months seasoned and mostky oak. It was O K to cut and split same day if the sap was down. this is my first year with new stove and about 6 mo. reading this forum. So guess what ,I have about 1 cord left over from last year, and the best next is 6 mo, oh well I have wood seasoning for next year thanks to this site. Been burning wood long as I have been in Va. 20+ years neighbors think I have gone crazy with all the wood I have gathered and stacked. Oh well what do you expect from a profecinal Texan.

Cpt

i was actually pointed to this site by a customer who thought i'd ought to look in on it as my stoves were mentioned at times. best tip ive ever gotten on a website. being in the biz and thinking i knew it or at least most of it , i quickly found that i knew a lot but far from everything. i'd be lying if i said ive "taught more than ive learned" its actually the other way around. this place is a treasure trove! i feel ya BB, ive had "discussions" about burning green wood a few times with folks , the smart or at least receptive ones listen and become beter wood burners. some arent so receptive and have to learn the hard way, darwinism at its best ;)

They is just doing what good ole boys do. You and I have done worse when we were young and dumb,. The only difference is that we learned from our mistakes.

stoveguy2esw said:
i was actually pointed to this site by a customer who thought i'd ought to look in on it as my stoves were mentioned at times.

First mention here ever was me after I ordered the 30. Got a lot of "what the hell is Englander?". First I knew of you was when one of your guys called back after I registered the warranty and said "My boss is curious why you live in Virginia and bought the stove in Colorado?". :lol:

Still sitting here in a T-shirt and sandals. Though, now the AC is off though and the windows are open. Something tells me that summer is over in RI.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Still sitting here in a T-shirt and sandals. Though, now the AC is off though and the windows are open. Something tells me that summer is over in RI.

I pulled the window units today. Summer is defiantly over. Hopefully it isn't the usual of A/C one day and fire the stoves the next. Looks like it won't be.

AC's are coming out this weekend. It;s almost time :p

Elvis is on the truck, and ready for his new home :)

A lot of my neighbors walk by while I'm splitting and assume it's for this year. Luckily most of them don't burn more than a token amount of wood each year.

I hope the heating season holds off for a little while more, as both of my stoves need some reassembly. Unlike previous years I'm not really itching to get burning. Guess the novelty has worn off...

I just don't understand people's resistance to learning what 'seasoned' wood really means.

When I began burning I was in the dark too and ordered my wood in the fall and believed the guy when he said it was seasoned....that was BH.C (Before Hearth.com). That was also using my first insert that I was told was perfect for the space I wanted to heat....

About the time I figured out the guy who sold me the insert was lying I knew I had to educate myself about an appropriate insert to suit our needs. Somehow I found this site and, as BB stated - the rest is history.....

I have learned more then I ever imagined there was to learn about wood burning devices - aka stoves, inserts, masonary fireplaces etc, species of wood and the btus of each, wood burning, wood stacking, wood seasoning, moisture meters, IR thermometers, chain saws, splitters, SuperCedars, welding gloves, fireplace tools, and ...well I could go on but I think I have made my point.

Here abouts people don't want to hear about seasoned wood either....oh well - at least I know I am not alone among the ignorant. :coolsmile:

DiscoInferno said:
A lot of my neighbors walk by while I'm splitting and assume it's for this year. Luckily most of them don't burn more than a token amount of wood each year.

I hope the heating season holds off for a little while more, as both of my stoves need some reassembly. Unlike previous years I'm not really itching to get burning. Guess the novelty has worn off...

Well if you were back in Munising, I'd bet you would know that the heating season won't hold off.

On those guys who cut their wood when they need it, for 99% of them, talking to them or trying to teach them is like pulling hen's teeth or teaching a pig how to dance.

Yeah, looks like the high in Munising today is in the mid 40's. But then some summers up there are part of the heating season...

cmonSTART said:
Nice! BB would be the bar tender.

Termite walks into a bar and asks "Is the bar tender here?".

"Honey, I'm going down to The Dirty Chimney for a pint with the boys.. don't wait up."

As Dave Barry would say it is also a great name for a rock band.

Status
Not open for further replies.