Hard water in home? Fails test?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My submersible well pump lasted 25 years. Foot valve was bad, I knew it, and then the pump did eventually burn out.

Not quite as hard as my water. I use a Fleck 5810 water softener and it handles it just fine.

If you wanted to add a check valve to a shallow well setup, couldn't it be on either side of the pump?

On suction side might be more ideal, with principal of holding the water in the pump, but if that would be a difficult install, one on the discharge side should prevent the water from leaving the pump? Like a finger on a straw?

If you wanted to add a check valve to a shallow well setup, couldn't it be on either side of the pump?

On suction side might be more ideal, with principal of holding the water in the pump, but if that would be a difficult install, one on the discharge side should prevent the water from leaving the pump? Like a finger on a straw?
If you have no leaks upstream of the pressure tank your taps do that .
I would put a shut off valve before the pump in case the foot valve failed
The biggest reason I would never but a check valve in a system is that
It would be hard to drain the system for what ever reason with out removing the valve

we have really messed up water here. Really high levels of chlorine, as well as other minerals. I have been thinking about a water softener, but haven't gotten around to it. I just know that I need to descale my water heater inlets every year, and after 3years of using the same humidifier on the top of the stove, I might have to break out a chisel to get some of that stuff off!

I got my water professionally tested. 198 ppm hardness. extremely hard for well water.
I'm curious why you only want to "soften" the hot water? Is it just to prevent the accumulation of minerals in your HWHs?
We too have hard water but hate the feel and taste of soft water as well as adding more salt to the environment. We decided to skip the softener and just clean the minerals out of the HWH tanks every few years. We also installed one of these electronic units and it actually seems to work. I was very skeptical but all indications are good -- less scale on the shower heads and faucets. We'll see whether the mineral buildup in HWH tank is less.

I also don't like the taste of soft water I can taste the salt
We have a cold water line to the Kitchen that is not soft water
we us it for drinking water . The line comes of the main line before the softener