Hardy Outdoor furnace down now outdoor propane furnace acting up. again

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
If its not one thing its another.... I mentioned this in two of my prev posts....
well Hubby got another Hardy plenum coil today he had to drive a ways to get it from a Hardy distributor guy who sold us the unit sev yrs ago. Hopefully it will install it next week and back Ill be in a toasty house again...
Well in meantime I asked Hubby to try out the Outdoor package propane unit first time this heating season. I heard it try. to light several times and some louder ones. I was outside tending to chores.... He shut it down when the propane smell got real strong in house right away. I opened the windows to air out the upstairs.
He said he would call the prev service guy when he got back to other house..
so he brought in a portable elec heater stored out in the storage shed. for me in the meantime...
I think he should have kept the new heat exchanger he returned back to the parts distributor last year
He thinks it could be dirty burners. since as far as he knows they were NOT cleaned at either service call
Y'all think that could be the problem rather than the HEAT EXCHANGER???
Thanks all

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2006
Schenectady, NY
If hes smelling propane, I'd check to make sure it's actually lighting.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
and heat exchanger should have different air so you should not be smelling fuel unless the heat exchanger is cracked or not sealed right

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Okay got relative to come over(prev. worked in HVAC) he took out Furnace burners on package OUTDOOR unit and cleaned them well and checked wiring for Hardy. Corrected the wiring so that fan comes on AUTO when Hardy calls for heat. so that problem solved
Then they concentrated on the Outdoor Packaged unit... He said chase ways were blocked. spent sev hours here with Hubby working on units.
So they turned on OUTDOOR furnace and it fired up but the smell inside house and outside was so strong. Ran in side and shut down furnace. on thermostat. they think regulator might be bad. It prob the original one and its mounted on the packageded OUTDOOR unit itself. instead of the house.
Hubby is supposedly to call Propane company this morning Like I mentioned I think Hubby should have exchanged the New Exchanger when he had it here... instead of seeing it back
thanks all