Hardy Outdoor furnace down now outdoor propane furnace acting up. again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
If its not one thing its another.... I mentioned this in two of my prev posts....
well Hubby got another Hardy plenum coil today he had to drive a ways to get it from a Hardy distributor guy who sold us the unit sev yrs ago. Hopefully it will install it next week and back Ill be in a toasty house again...
Well in meantime I asked Hubby to try out the Outdoor package propane unit first time this heating season. I heard it try. to light several times and some louder ones. I was outside tending to chores.... He shut it down when the propane smell got real strong in house right away. I opened the windows to air out the upstairs.
He said he would call the prev service guy when he got back to other house..
so he brought in a portable elec heater stored out in the storage shed. for me in the meantime...
I think he should have kept the new heat exchanger he returned back to the parts distributor last year
He thinks it could be dirty burners. since as far as he knows they were NOT cleaned at either service call
Y'all think that could be the problem rather than the HEAT EXCHANGER???
Thanks all

and heat exchanger should have different air so you should not be smelling fuel unless the heat exchanger is cracked or not sealed right

Okay got relative to come over(prev. worked in HVAC) he took out Furnace burners on package OUTDOOR unit and cleaned them well and checked wiring for Hardy. Corrected the wiring so that fan comes on AUTO when Hardy calls for heat. so that problem solved
Then they concentrated on the Outdoor Packaged unit... He said chase ways were blocked. spent sev hours here with Hubby working on units.
So they turned on OUTDOOR furnace and it fired up but the smell inside house and outside was so strong. Ran in side and shut down furnace. on thermostat. they think regulator might be bad. It prob the original one and its mounted on the packageded OUTDOOR unit itself. instead of the house.
Hubby is supposedly to call Propane company this morning Like I mentioned I think Hubby should have exchanged the New Exchanger when he had it here... instead of seeing it back
thanks all

It was Heat ex after all
well propane company came... out 2 guys for like less than 5 min.
they sup; checked pressure Hubby was outside with them. I wish I had watched... they said pressure okay. Got bill 2 days later for $40.
well hubby and relative decided to replace Heat Exchanger and burners and sensors.
It was like a 4 to 5 hr job. They took out old exchanger ,relative found holes and rust holes in it. I didn't know that when Hubby and so called Professional HVAC guy checked heat exchanger last year 2019.... He didn't take out heat exchanger or at least check with mirror. can't trust the Ass hats , three HVAC so far that did work on unit.
so all seems well now when they fired up unit for a few minutes all was Well. But using Hardy for now as long as firewood hold out.
Thanks all

You got a deal at 40 dollars. My son is an HVAC tech
in Ontario Canada, he has a lic that he has to renew every so often
You don't ask for a specific thing just tell them what is happening
let them ask questions and figure it out. Here a service call is a min.100 dollars
plus time on the job . 2 men min 75 $ an hour or part of you got off cheap
Please don't bad mouth tradesmen if they do not know the problem they
can not fix it. You are lucky that your husband is very handy imagine if
he didn't have a clue

You got a deal at 40 dollars. My son is an HVAC tech
in Ontario Canada, he has a lic that he has to renew every so often
You don't ask for a specific thing just tell them what is happening
let them ask questions and figure it out. Here a service call is a min.100 dollars
plus time on the job . 2 men min 75 $ an hour or part of you got off cheap
Please don't bad mouth tradesmen if they do not know the problem they
can not fix it. You are lucky that your husband is very handy imagine if
he didn't have a clue

the $40 is for the propane company to just check the propane pressure. My relative was the main fixer guy(retired HVAC, etc) of course Hubby knows a lot too
The regulator is attached to the side the packaged unit instead of the house or on a "pole" it was done I assume back in 2004 or so according to paperwork left here. So the regulator get vibrated everytime the unit comes on and goes off.
Heck yeah they were told that propane smell bad coming out of register but didn't bother to do proper job and a thorough inspection. The one HVAC just felt the Heat ex. .....half butt job my relative said about the TRADESMEn