Hark, the Chimney Sweep Cometh!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Today, (this morning) the Chimney Sweep comes to the house to do his work. He's a known Professional and is Licensed and Certified up the ying-yang, with a ton of experience.

BECAUSE I can't be here to talk with him, I prepared the following letter for him, and will be interested in his responses. I read somewhere that you ("joe consumer") should think of your relationship to your Chimney Sweep as a partnership in good burning practices. That he/she is your teammate in ensuring that you are burning correctly and safely throughout the burn season. I like that thought.

So here's what I asked him:

"9/22/10

Dennis,
Sorry I couldn’t be here today, to meet with you. Perhaps THIS is the way to communicate. Thanks for taking a couple of minutes to read this, and answer these questions for me.
You’re a Licensed “Professional” with a ton of experience, and you’ve seen lots of different stoves, and set ups, and I value your thoughts……….

A) You’ll note that I pulled out the Flue Thermometer for your convenience during the cleaning process, ……..does the creosote on the probe (color, density, etc) tell you anything unusual or specific about the type of burning
that’s going on with our system? (Good, bad, or whatever)

B) You’ll of course note that I’m using two different thermometers on the
Body of the stove. This is so that I can find an “average” temp to work
From, when burning, for establishing a “cruising temperature” balance.
What do you think of their location? Any suggestions?

C) The wife can/will show you our wood supply and how it’s stored currently.
The tarps will go over the outside stacks completely in the winter, but for
Now are as you see them. Any thoughts on the storage technique? (Good,
Bad, or whatever)

D) Presuming you check the piping in the attic, as well as the rest of the system,
What can you tell me about what you see with regard to the set up, safety,
Condition, things to watch for……..etc…..so that I can be sure that the
Unseen portion of the system is “fine?”

E) Any thoughts or opinions about the setup in general? Proximity of items
In the living room to the stove, etc.? Just interested in any suggestions you
Might have, for safety sake.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for offering any advice you can. You, working with us as a team, can ensure that we have a safe and comfortable burning season. We value your expertise in this field.

By the way, I chose to remove all the ashes instead of leaving a ½ “ layer like I usually would leave in the firebox, just so that you could have as clean a system to work with, as possible.

-Steve"

-Soupy1957

Backwoods Savage is coming out to clean your chimney? ;)

$159.00 for his services (so the wife tells me)which is what I was quoted. She stated that he didn't get much ash at all, in the system, and checked the whole length (including the attic).

She also stated that he sat down and answered the questions before he left, so when I go home for lunch I'll see what he wrote, and let you know.

-Soupy1957

His Answer to "A" is: "No"
His Answer to "B" is: "I would go more by the Probe Thermometer"
His Answer to "C" is: "Storage is good"
His Answer to "D" is: "I see no problem with chimney in Attic"
His Answer to "E" is: "Stove is installed to manufacturers clearances to combustibles."

-Soupy1957

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage is coming out to clean your chimney? ;)

Naw. I'll send my wife to do that.

I'll Keep a pot of coffee hot & fresh.......since the work has been done already, I figure she'll need some for the trip BACK to Michigan.

-Soupy1957

I know the feeling, wanting be there and share important time with the Chimney Sweep. I took a couple hours off from work so I could be there with him a couple weeks ago. He worked and talked at the same time. When he saw some things to note, he ran them by me usually in the form of a question and then making his point during conversation. Soon enough we will fire em' up.

We had our flue swept this week too. Came out with about a coffee can of light stuff. True confession time. This is after 4 years of clean EPA burning and about 10 cords of wood. He said, see ya in 4 years as he left.

Pagey: We started burning in December of 2009 and burned from 6 AM til about 8 PM every day last winter, til March. Then THIS year, I've only fired it up 3 times so far. We consumed a 1/2 cord last season. I know that's not "24/7" burning like we intend to do this year, and so I didn't expect much of any build up in the Chimney pipe. I believe it important to establish a pattern, a baseline, for reference.
I also like the idea of knowing (from the "Professionals") how I'm doing.

BeGreen: The Chimney Sweep put a return date of Sept/Oct 2011, so I figure we must be on his "annual" rotation list, at least for now. Hopefully, next visit, he'll extend that. But it was good to know that he felt comfortable with not having to be here in say, "January" (mid-burning season) to review things. Must mean we are doing something right.

I called our Chimney Sweep (his phone kicked into answering machine mode) when I got home last night, to ask, "Did you get a cup full or what, of ash." We'll see what he says. The WIFE told me she asked him if there was any creosote in the chimney, and he said "only light traces of ash." For whatever THAT'S worth.

-Soupy1957

Soupy, I hope that someone with more experience can answer this for me but it would seem that starting a fire fresh every morning and then letting it go out of the evening would lead to more deposits in the pipe than a 24-7 burn do to the pipe being completely cool at start up and then cooling off as the burn slows of the evenings.

I could be (and probably am:) completely wrong but doesn't proper stack temps. play a big part in the lack of creosite buildup?

Since Steve M is not looking for a response from "me" apparently.........this is not intended as a response to him.

I called the Chimney Sweep this morning and asked, "Hey dude.....you never told me how much ash you got from my chimney." His response: "I got a little under a Quart of ash. Keep doin what you're doin........you're doin it right!"

Was nice to hear!!

-Soupy1957

Soupy, sorry if my post sounded offensive in any way. I'm sure it wouldn't sound that way in person. Maybe I'm just not good at putting things in writing.

Expaining it the best I can, the reason I was asking the question is because, if I remember right, you stated that you planned on burning 24-7 this coming season. Just wondering if this would lead to even less buildup due to the constant hot temps. in the chimney vs. the cold starts every morning. Not at all saying that you were doing anything wrong.

Your comments are welcome. After all, it is your thread.

Steve, some say yes, that it could. Some say no. I say if you burn that single fire hot then you have no worries. Hot is how most small fires go. Build it small, burn it hot and let it die out.

Another way of stating that is that starting a small fire in a cold stove, the heat does build up gradually. However, if you have dry wood the end result should be negligible.

As always I agree with Dennis . . . which I almost always do except for the whole debate on the best way to run the hydraulic splitter . . . I would think if you have the stove up to temp and achieve secondary combustion, have good seasoned wood and burn off the bad stuff with that secondary burn (or cat for you folks using the cat stoves) you shouldn't end up with any or much creosote since the bulk of the bad stuff has been burned off in the burn . . . regardless of whether it's a single fire in the shoulder season or burning continually 24/7.

I would guess that having a nice warm (or hot) stack all the time would be useful . . . especially in keeping and maintaining a draft . . . and this probably plays a part in the creosote formation, but I would guess burning seasoned wood and burning at the proper temps may have more of an impact on how much creosote is produced.

And Steve . . . I don't think you meant or sounded to be offensive . . . keep typing and keep asking questions . . . it's how we learn from each other.

Yea, perhaps I just mis-read it..............that's fine. In person, or by voice, is always a better way to communicate. Written communication doesn't give you a chance to hear the intended way the words are presented.

I think the biggest no-no is to allow the fire to smolder. I was pleased to know that we are doing it "right" (according to the Chimney Sweep) and I owe a LOT of that, to the folks in HERE!!! Thanks to one and all for helping us do it "right" and keep ourselves safe.

Yep, 24/7 this year.........(but based on the temps today ............90ºF.........it'll be a while before THAT happens!!)

-Soupy1957

Oh but Soupy, our stove does very well when left to smolder away! So one has to clarify things sometimes. Cat stoves do very well with smoldering fires.

I have noticed that when I try and close the damper down on a well-established fire in our wood stove, it'll put the dang fire OUT (or at least the flames go away). What's THAT about?!

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
I have noticed that when I try and close the damper down on a well-established fire in our wood stove, it'll put the dang fire OUT (or at least the flames go away). What's THAT about?!

-Soupy1957

That's just how some stoves behave. I can't completely close the primary on my Endeavor without snuffing the fire. I have adapted accordingly and close it to with a quarter or eight of an inch or so.

cmonSTART said:
Wow. Homework.

I was waiting for a sweep to ring in. :lol:

cmonSTART said:
Wow. Homework.

It could have been worse . . . Soupy could have asked his sweep for a three-page report, double-spaced and typed with correct grammar. ;) :)

Yea, ..............heck.........I was EASY on him!

-Soupy1957

firefighterjake said:
cmonSTART said:
Wow. Homework.

It could have been worse . . . Soupy could have asked his sweep for a three-page report, double-spaced and typed with correct grammar. ;) :)

I'm sure there are many out there that actually do ask for detailed reports. And I'm sure there are Sweeps that duck for cover even before arriving....

Status
Not open for further replies.