Harman 52i Auger Locked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jlyon

Jan 2, 2015
Kentucky
Hey Guys. I'm a newb to pellet stoves but slowly becoming an expert with all the problems I am having with my 52i. I just purchased the stove in 09/14 and started using it a couple months. I just did my 1st ton cleaning and everything was working great. We had a warm spell right before Christmas so I turned the stove to low in Room Temp mode. When I went to turn it back up, it would not put out any heat. I got the 6 blink error. I then took the stove back out and cleaned everything including my pipe.

Once I put the stove back in, the auger seemed to move slowly. Now it is almost completely locked. It turns maybe a quarter of an inch clockwise. I called the dealer and he said try to get something to manually twist the auger in the front to break a jammed pellet. He's not been helpful and all and I don't even think he services the stoves.

What do you recommend I do? Is there a way I can access the auger and try to free it up? I'm starting to regret paying 5k for this machine now.

Thanks All.

Hey Guys. I'm a newb to pellet stoves but slowly becoming an expert with all the problems I am having with my 52i. I just purchased the stove in 09/14 and started using it a couple months. I just did my 1st ton cleaning and everything was working great. We had a warm spell right before Christmas so I turned the stove to low in Room Temp mode. When I went to turn it back up, it would not put out any heat. I got the 6 blink error. I then took the stove back out and cleaned everything including my pipe.

Once I put the stove back in, the auger seemed to move slowly. Now it is almost completely locked. It turns maybe a quarter of an inch clockwise. I called the dealer and he said try to get something to manually twist the auger in the front to break a jammed pellet. He's not been helpful and all and I don't even think he services the stoves.

What do you recommend I do? Is there a way I can access the auger and try to free it up? I'm starting to regret paying 5k for this machine now.

Thanks All.
Are you aware that when you set the feed rate knob to "test", it should run the auger for 1 minute? Not sure what happens if it really is stuck and the controller is calling for it to move. You would think it would sense high load and shut it down.

In test most, it moves short distance making a loud metal on metal sound. Then stops.
I'm sure some of the more experienced 52i users here will jump in. I have not had my unit away from the wall yet, so not real sure what you can do when you have access. One thing you might do is empty out the hopper and see if you can see whats going on with the sliding door at the top of the auger. You might be able to bang on it or get it to turn a little. Good luck.

You can see the auger if you pull the unit out and look into the fines box. Unless it was a simple jam, I'm not sure how successful you will be because the fines box is in a tight location. I taped a small diameter flex hose to my vac wand to clear it out.

image.jpg

First and foremost, calm down. The stove is under warranty and Harman will stand behind it. There are other service options. If you contact them they will work with you. Now, on to the problem. Yes you can access the auger. The manual with your stove or the on-line version will have instructions for dismantling and checking. I'd recommend against attempting to force it. I'm wondering if you didn't have some trash in your pellets that has jammed your auger. It happens. Don't blame the stove quite yet.

Welcome jlyon,
Where are you in KY? There are many 52i people here and I am sure they or other Harman peeps can help you out.

In test most, it moves short distance making a loud metal on metal sound. Then stops.
When you cleaned it did you clean the box that fills up with fines? If so remove the cover and notice that plate that slides back and forth. It has a long narrow hole on the end where a bracket is supposed to slip into. That bracket can come off while you are cleaning that box and you won't notice it until you turn it on. It will stop the auger. reinstall it correctly and it will run fine.

Thanks for the replies. I did clean the box that fills up with fines. I took the screw completley off to avoid losing it. I actu ally accessed it pretty easily from the back. There was a lot of fines and some pellets in it. I tried to suction was I could and also used some air to blow it out. It's clean now. Not sure how I could had poured garbage in as I just cut bag and pour it in. As for the warranty, I know it has one but it's aggregating when you dealer don't seem to care.

I'm from eastern ky near pike county Btw.

Edit. I'll check that out. You don't mean the nut that holds it on?

Last edited:
When you cleaned it did you clean the box that fills up with fines? If so remove the cover and notice that plate that slides back and forth. It has a long narrow hole on the end where a bracket is supposed to slip into. That bracket can come off while you are cleaning that box and you won't notice it until you turn it on. It will stop the auger. reinstall it correctly and it will run fine.
This is worth printing and putting in the manual, great idea!

Does sound and look like the plate is not in correctly. There shouldn't be enough clearance for pellets to be in the fine box. And the notch in the plate, goes up. Hths

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I did clean the box that fills up with fines. I took the screw completley off to avoid losing it. I actu ally accessed it pretty easily from the back. There was a lot of fines and some pellets in it. I tried to suction was I could and also used some air to blow it out. It's clean now. Not sure how I could had poured garbage in as I just cut bag and pour it in. As for the warranty, I know it has one but it's aggregating when you dealer don't seem to care.

I'm from eastern ky near pike county Btw.

Edit. I'll check that out. You don't mean the nut that holds it on?
There have been instances of garbage in pellets as they come bagged from the supplier; nails, nuts, bolts, plastic. Several threads here document that.

This is worth printing and putting in the manual, great idea!

You are talking about the feeder chamber right ? I'm trying to remember a bracket when I removed the cover. It's not clicking at this time. I thought you meant the wing nut earlier. I'll have to take another look. Does it fall off? Could you explain more ?

You are talking about the feeder chamber right ? I'm trying to remember a bracket when I removed the cover. It's not clicking at this time. I thought you meant the wing nut earlier. I'll have to take another look. Does it fall off? Could you explain more ?
When you remove the wing nut and remove the cover you should see a plate that moves in and out as the auger turns the end of that plate that faces the open area will have a slit cut in it and there is a mechanism that slides up into that slit. You should be able to see it.
If you look where the electric motor turns the feed auger you should see the other end of that mechanism and see how it gets pushed as the auger is turned. I think it lifts up as the auger turns. Anyway follow that piece back to the fines box and I believe you will see it has dropped out of position and rather then pull and push that slide it is hitting inside the fines box.

When you remove the wing nut and remove the cover you should see a plate that moves in and out as the auger turns the end of that plate that faces the open area will have a slit cut in it and there is a mechanism that slides up into that slit. You should be able to see it.
If you look where the electric motor turns the feed auger you should see the other end of that mechanism and see how it gets pushed as the auger is turned. I think it lifts up as the auger turns. Anyway follow that piece back to the fines box and I believe you will see it has dropped out of position and rather then pull and push that slide it is hitting inside the fines box.
There might be an exploded view of this in the manual.

Here's what it looks like.
Looks like it is attached the right way. Can you wiggle anything such as being able to move that slide by hand or looking at the end of the mechanism that rides on the piece that actually lifts it as the auger turns? If you can lift it by hand you should be able to see the slide move. Maybe there is a foreign object that was in the bag of pellets that wedged in the slide or under the auger, Can you see two bolts that hold a bracket that actually holds the large bearing and auger in position? then a couple bolts that hold the motor in position? How about one that holds the shaft of the motor onto the auger? It isn't hard to remove the motor then remove the two bolts that hold a bracket against the bearing on the end of the auger. Then tap the auger from inside the stove pushing it towards the back of the stove. It should just pop out. That way you will have found any obstruction in the auger plus that slide should be free.
Truth be known this is a easy stove to take apart and put back together. Sometimes things get into the fuel that shouldn't and cause problems. I had a friend who shoveled free corn from the railroad tracks and got pieces of granite rock in his auger. He was yelping about what a crappy stove Harman was until I got the rock out and asked how it got into the stove? Got pretty quiet after that.

Looks like it is attached the right way. Can you wiggle anything such as being able to move that slide by hand or looking at the end of the mechanism that rides on the piece that actually lifts it as the auger turns? If you can lift it by hand you should be able to see the slide move. Maybe there is a foreign object that was in the bag of pellets that wedged in the slide or under the auger, Can you see two bolts that hold a bracket that actually holds the large bearing and auger in position? then a couple bolts that hold the motor in position? How about one that holds the shaft of the motor onto the auger? It isn't hard to remove the motor then remove the two bolts that hold a bracket against the bearing on the end of the auger. Then tap the auger from inside the stove pushing it towards the back of the stove. It should just pop out. That way you will have found any obstruction in the auger plus that slide should be free.
Truth be known this is a easy stove to take apart and put back together. Sometimes things get into the fuel that shouldn't and cause problems. I had a friend who shoveled free corn from the railroad tracks and got pieces of granite rock in his auger. He was yelping about what a crappy stove Harman was until I got the rock out and asked how it got into the stove? Got pretty quiet after that.

A friend of mine had a problem with his auger not feeding, come to find out a plastic top of the bag that he ripped off somehow ended up in the hopper and clog it up.
one more reason why I screen my Pellets.
hope you find the problem.

A friend of mine had a problem with his auger not feeding, come to find out a plastic top of the bag that he ripped off somehow ended up in the hopper and clog it up.
one more reason why I screen my Pellets.
hope you find the problem.
I have read where this type of stuff is not all that uncommon. I think this is what others above are stating. It would be very odd for a new auger to go bad and the auger and feed are trying to work but something it keeping it from doing so. I do not screen mine but I do eagle eye what is coming out of the bag. Screening takes a little time but I can agree it is some very cheap insurance.

I have read where this type of stuff is not all that uncommon. I think this is what others above are stating. It would be very odd for a new auger to go bad and the auger and feed are trying to work but something it keeping it from doing so. I do not screen mine but I do eagle eye what is coming out of the bag. Screening takes a little time but I can agree it is some very cheap insurance.
I pour the bag into a 5 gallon pail while I am in the garage. Less mess in the house. I got one of those Sure Kleen corn pellet cleaners with a electric fan that removes most of the dust in the pellets in a swap and trade deal this fall. Works well but really don't need it.

I have the predecessor to this stove and in the first year had a similar issue. Thought perhaps the girls dropped a toy in and it got eaten. Once I cleaned it out and tried a few things I realized that it wasn't the auger that was stuck. I pulled off the motor/gearbox and could turn the unit by hand. Turns out it was a bad gearbox that ate the motor. Went through 2 before finally got one that stayed working...

I suggest you disconnect the motor and test there then tell your dealer to come in out with whichever spares are needed...