Harman Accentra cleaning, heat exchangers covered in creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aviator79

Oct 14, 2012
Suffield, CT
So pulled my stove out after 3 years and doing complete cleaning and the heat exchangers have a thin film of oil on them. I assume this is creosote. What do I use to remove this?

I have cleaned stove regularly using brush and small tube attached to vac to clean exhaust ports. I need to make/buy a new brush as mine is shot. I have used this stove for years using green teams and I have never had this film before. Usually just fine ash that brushes off. Using green teams needs cleaning often.

Last year bought hammers which burned great and little ash but still lots of fine ash on heat exchangers so even thou ash tray was not full I would have to clean as heat output went down fast. Also always left hard carbon deposits in burn pot every bag. Maybe have other issues, or bad pellets...IDK could have been was not clean enough as I said have not done pull out clean in 3 years. Only used 1 ton last year and 1 ton year before and then 3 tons year I installed.

So ya could just be that it needed cleaning.

Anyways I plan to clean pipe this year as well while I have it out but I need to buy tools to clean it from bottom.

I will do $1 test.

Finish cleaning stove.

Clean liner.

Inspect stove, OAK, liner with cam if I can.

IDK if its time to pull apart and refurbish or if OK to just clean and put back in.

Again, main question is what to use to clean oil film but I am about to go try vinegar spray...

Also maybe not buy Hammers this year.

Can see film in pics attached. Wipes off but concerning.

Attachments

• 1509163490058324755993.jpg
    1509163490058324755993.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 1509163532612638996653.jpg
    1509163532612638996653.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 15091635867841336651352.jpg
    15091635867841336651352.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 150916360361890097290.jpg
    150916360361890097290.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 369
Sounds like creosote to me. If you run your stove at low heat for long periods, it will build up. A stove should be run on high temp daily to burn it off. My stove manual says to run it on high for at least 20 minutes every day. I don't do that, but I run my stove fairly hot all the time, and have only had buildup once, and a 20 minute burn on high took care of it.
No need for cleaners, run it HOT for a while.

If your vent pipe has never been cleaned in 3 years it needs it for sure. And if the pipe is restricted that may be part of your problem. Clean the pipe and inner chambers of the stove then do a really hot burn.

Reactions: Mikey pellet guy
I get some of the same deposits on my Harman when burning Hammers. Good pellets but get the carbon deposits as well as that oily film. Only seems to get it in a few areas of the stove. It never builds up heavy like creosote would, just a thin oily film. I use a TSP substitute cleaner on it, cleans it right up although it is messy. I happened to have some when I saw the oily film the first time, and knew it was good on greasy films so gave it a try. Seems to work well, no problems with using it thus far.

Seem to get that film no matter how hot I burn it down in the ash pan area. Now I absolutely agree if I burn it cooler i will definitely get more in other areas. Burning it Hot helps, I burn mine on constant temp mostly, rarely go below 3 to help avoid the issue.

Clean your combustion pipe you should be doing that for every ton burned. Cover your burn pot get a spray bottle with warm water will get it off then dry it real well. I do this to mine, I have the same heat exchanger on my xxv.like others say burn that thing max! For 20 to 30 min.

To remove the creosote from your stove's heat exchangers, just use a propane torch and carefully burn it off. It will bubble up then be easier to remove.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk